Wednesday, September 13, 2017

House report 24: Windows!

Saturday, 12 August

I am so excited! Our new windows are here!

When we first moved in I was astonished at how much hotter this house is. It faces east, which means that the piano room and kitchen get blazing hot afternoon sun all the time. And the windows were old and useless. And there's no shade coming from the desert wasteland of the back yard. It's hotter than hell in this house! I actually have to put sunglasses on to make dinner or do dishes and I'm still sweating real sweat every time I step foot in the kitchen. In the afternoon, you can open the door and step outside and be instantly ten degrees cooler. It has been a challenge!

Step one in the plan to make this all better is new double-glazed windows. Step two is blinds. And we're considering air-conditioning as a step three.

Step two and three are still some way off, but step one is underway! Jeff put in three new windows this weekend, with the piano room being the first major window that he did, so that I can stop roasting other people's children during piano lessons.

Apart from the fact that I can't wait for the house to be cooler, I love the way they look! It's such an upgrade. I can't wait for the whole of the back wall to be done!





No comments: