Friday, September 8, 2017

House report 23: Kitchen progress

Saturday, 29 July

We ordered appliances for the kitchen right after we moved in. The fridge was a real saga - first they delivered the wrong one, then we discovered that the one we'd picked was 1/8 of an inch too tall - 1/8 of an inch!! So annoying. We finally got a fridge that fit about a month after we moved in, while all the other appliances sat about in boxes in the room that has no name (it's at the back of the house so it can't be the front room, even though that's what it is).

It took Jeff a while to get all the appliances in. We went very slowly at the rate of one every three weeks or so! We finally got the microwave in this weekend and the kitchen is done!

There are actually a couple of spots that need further attention - we need to change the size of the  window because it sits too low to the counter, but that's a long term project; and the moulding around the pocket door has not been caulked or painted. I predict that it will be at least 2019 before we get around to that.

I think that it is a little smaller than my old kitchen. There's a large collection of bottles sitting on the counter that I can't find homes for. We have a pantry cupboard which I love, but I think that one of the two downstairs coat cupboards is going to be converted into a second pantry before very much longer.

ETA: Sorry no pictures. I was trying all week to get the kitchen clean enough to take pictures. And then this afternoon Jeff took out the kitchen window (not a long term project after all!) and took the backsplash off and made a giant mess in there. So the pictures will have to wait until the kitchen is actually finished (even though I guarantee the caulking on the door moulding will still not be done!).




No comments: