Thursday, April 27, 2017

House Report 18: More fun with floors

Saturday, 8 April

This weekend we had some help! Jeff's Dad and brother came out from Texas to help us out. The main project for the weekend was laying the hardwood floor, though Grandpa did actually stay a whole week and did sterling work on all the doors (sanding, repainting, hanging. And there's a lot of doors!).

At first Jeff was quite put out because I managed to choose a floor (bamboo) that goes down on glue, not on a floating underlayment. He can do anything - but I doubt that we'll do this kind of floor again, because the glue cost nearly as much as the floor! I'm not even kidding. It was a an insane price for glue, but when you need it, what can you do? So ridiculous.

The floor went in pretty easy, all things considered, and it looks great. We just have to finish off the little section in the kitchen once the cabinets go in (next week, woo hoo!).





The glue left residue all over Jeff and Paul's hands... Jeff's hands were totally grey on Saturday night, to the point that when we went out for dinner he wore a grey shirt to match his hands! It wasn't until we were sitting in church on Sunday morning that I noticed that Nicholas' hands were all grey too. I asked him if he had touched the glue, and he said yes. I asked him when, and he said 'when you all were outside'. Now the last thing we need is Nicholas touching things when we're all outside, because there are some fairly major tools over at that house! I needed to impress upon him that this was a bad idea. So I told him that he could have been stuck to the floor, and he would have had to stay there forever, and I would probably forget to bring him food after a while, and I asked him if he thought that sounded fun.  He said 'I would really suffer!' Hopefully he's got the message that touching things when we're all outside is not a good idea. Probably not though!

No comments: