As we were approaching (through gorgeous countryside) Ellie said 'What's Stonehenge?' I couldn't believe it. Really?? I told her she'd recognise it when she saw it, and hoped I was right!
All the other times I've been to Stonehenge (all two of them (though my Mum claims we came when I was little, before it was fenced off, and danced around the stones.... wish I could remember that!!)) it has been windy and cold. Today was lovely, warm and not that windy... the perfect day to be up on the hillside.
| I thought I had achieved the impossible and actually taken a picture with nobody in it... but no |
Shortly after this Nicholas just sat down and refused to move. So we left.
After Stonehenge we drove into Salisbury to wander around the Cathedral, which is one of my favourite places. I wished we had more time to just wander around the Cathedral Close, which is stunning. But there wasn't. Adam wished we had more time so that he could climb the tower... I promised him that we'd do that next time.
| Nicholas does his best tombstone impression |
One of the things that Jeff does when confronted with renaissance art (and especially statues) is tell stories about what they're actually thinking while they pose. So Adam and Ellie had a great time telling statue stories on the west front of the Cathedral. I loved that they did it even though Jeff isn't here!
One of the things that we made sure to do while we were at the Cathedral was pop into the Chapter House for a look at the best surviving copy of the Magna Carta, signed in 1215. Ellie's jaw dropped when I told her that the piece of paper in front of her was 800 years old. Adam read all the information about it and really wanted to see it, so we lined up for him to get a good look. He was very interested and respectful...
however I had Nicholas with me as well. When Adam was done, we moved off so that the next people in line could come and have a look, except that Nicholas wouldn't leave. He kept turning back and finally I grabbed hold of him to physically haul him out of there and he got desperate and yelled loudly 'No! No! I just have to clean off my lick!' And yes, there was a big old patch of spit on the Magna Carta case where Nicholas had clearly been licking the glass. I was mortified! If ever I wanted to disown my own child it was in that moment!
Shortly after that, Nicholas just sat down on the floor of the Chapter House and refused to move. So we left.
No comments:
Post a Comment