Every time I go I intend on getting over to the Assembly rooms and every time I go I don't make it. Today was no exception! But I knew I wanted the kids to see the Roman baths. We had the best lunch of our trip (Cornish pasties!!) in the Parade Gardens and then we hit the baths.
| It's a hot spring - you can see the bubbles in the pool. This blows my mind somewhat, that it's still going and still hot! |
| Roman drains, still going strong! |
| Original plumbing! |
After the baths we went into Jane Austen's Bath. We went up to the Circus and paraded along the Royal Crescent. The kids had no idea why we there. I told them that when they read Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer's books when they're older they will able to picture the heroines in their proper context, and they would thank me then. I'll have to wait a few years but I still think it was worth it!
By the time we were done there we discovered that there was no time to get across town to the Assembly rooms, so my dreams of swanning across the dance floor pretending to be Anne Elliott or Catherine Morland were dashed, once again. I don't think the boys would have understood, anyway. We were probably better off with the Romans!
1 comment:
So jealous!!! And this means you'll just have to go back. Preferably with me 😉
Post a Comment