Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Who will rid me of this turbulent beast?

Ha! What a great title for a blog post!

Last Saturday a stray cat moved in with us! She sat on our doorstep for ages and the instant the front door opened, she was in the house. I threw her out several times and she came back in several times. By the time she had been hanging around on the front step for a couple of hours I realised that this cat was not going to go anywhere soon! She was thin and a little muddy and had clearly been out for a couple of days at least.

The only shelter that's open on the weekend is the city pound. I called several places and the only ones that a) picked up the phone and b) were ready to come and get her was the pound, where she would have lasted all of three days. And while I'm not an animal person I wasn't going to send this kitten to the pound!

 

It is surprisingly difficult to find a home for a stray cat, even one as cute as this. I have friends who know cat rescue people, and by the end of Saturday I had feelers out into two or three cat rescue networks, and... nothing. Nobody could take her and everywhere was full up.

I posted her picture on Facebook and by Monday had two offers of homes for her. She will make somebody a great cat. (Just not us, as Jeff is allergic. But I would like to point out that it was Jeff who first gave her a bowl of water, and Jeff who first fed her.) She is little and loves attention, and starts purring just as soon as you pick her up.

She's just a kitten and so she's pretty energetic. She seems to think that toes need to be hunted down and destroyed. But the real turbulence comes when she takes a flying leap at the screen door and lands on it at head height. It can be quite a shock when you're sitting peacefully at the desk (right next to said screen door) and all of a sudden there's an almighty thud and there's a cat higher than your head staring you down. This happens several times a day!


Her new owners are out of town and are coming to pick her up on Thursday morning. They are going to love her, but I hope they have a robust screen door.

No comments: