Yesterday my stress levels were through the roof. About half an hour before we were due to leave the house the downstairs bathroom flooded. So I am all made up (which is rare!), in full concert black, on my hands and knees on the floor mopping up the flood with every towel in the house. On the way to drop the little two off at Megan's my heel broke. By the time I had walked back home (all of one hundred yards) my other heel broke. So it was not the best start!
Adam and Ellie did well at this concert. We were doing Riu Riu Chiu again (on our newly released Christmas CD for those of you who have it!) which started out this time with just the adult choir on stage. All the kids choirs came into the hall at various points and in various places in time for their verse. Ellie was the line leader and my biggest worry in this concert was that she would get her line in on time, not fall off the riser she was speeding along, and get there in time to sing! Jeff says that they both did great!
I stole this photo off a friend's facebook feed. There are at least a couple of children's choirs missing from this picture, so this is not even the full complement of singers. But here we are in Segerstrom!
My two tired performers with their now traditional post-concert treat!
On concert week I am not truly relaxed until I am on stage, and then not even fully and properly relaxed until the encore is over and I can just enjoy the applause and acknowledge another job well done. But I would put up with any amount of stress to keep these kids in these concerts. Money just cannot buy the exposure they are getting to wonderful music in a wonderful setting - well, actually, it probably can, but it would be a lot of money on a very regular basis, and even then it would not provide the lessons they are learning on the benefits of practice and perseverance. It is such a worthwhile thing for them to be doing. As for me, I'm just grateful that I get to play with an orchestra packed with musicians infinitely more talented than I am, and we're going to keep doing it for as long as we can!

5 comments:
Rained off....?
Yes Mark, it does sometimes rain. Once or twice a year.
How fun! It looks like it was a beautiful concert. Congratulations!!!
The concert was amazing! sorry about the flooding....
Whenever I am stressed out during concert week, I will think of your bathroom toilets and be inspired. I can't believe you went through that. The orchestra is AMAZING, and it is so wonderful we all get to perform together. You are right, there is no other way to have the experience, and it's worth the effort every time. ;)
Post a Comment