Saturday, December 15, 2012

Scrooge, Stockings and Stairs

December has been unusually busy this year. We have been trying to find time to put our decorations up for Christmas... I think the kids were starting to think that Christmas was not going to happen, because it didn't look like it in our house. Adam kept coming to me with suggestions of where we could put the tree - if we move this table, or if we move this other piece of furniture it would fit. Every time I had to reassure him not to worry, Mum and Dad have it under control, we will put the tree up soon. But there was never a night where we were all home, and I was starting to feel quite Scrooge-like for not having done it yet.

The other day Jeff looked at the stairs and asked me when I was going to decorate. He knew he was being ridiculous, we had been talking for days about when we were going to do the tree and the best we could come up with was next Wednesday! The banisters do look lovely, they are the nicest thing in this house, and they did look very bare. As I headed out the door yet again I told him I would think about it.... and I did. I have decorated the stairs. I love how this holly garland turned out - I spent an intensive couple of days surrounded by piles of felt and wool, but it was worth it.


We managed to find some time yesterday in an otherwise packed schedule, and although all the kids had to stay up late to do it, we put the Christmas tree up. Which means that the stockings are up too! This is the first year we have had a full set of finished stockings... last year Nicholas' stocking did not have his name on because I ran out of beads on Christmas Eve and rather than go out again I gave up and finished it after New Year's. 


I love the kids' stockings. I am very proud of Kate's Christmas tree stocking... I came up with the idea for  the button tree all by myself and then last year button trees were all over Pinterest. I was ahead of the curve on that one! The stockings look great all lined up, and I think the kids were quite relieved to see them. Christmas is on!


2 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Looks wonderful! Nice work on the garland--love it!

Melissa said...

Well done, Alex! I love the garland, and the stockings look GREAT! You are so talented! Glad Christmas is occurring for you this year. We just decorated yesterday and today. The tree has been up for a week with lights on it, but that was all I could muster. I can't believe it took me so long!