Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Parent teacher conferences

Yesterday and today were Ellie's and Adam's parent teacher conferences. They could not have been more different.

Ellie's teacher chose to do 'student-led' teacher conferences which is basically where your child shows you her work, and when you have gone through the little checklist then and only then do you get to approach the hallowed desk where said teacher sits in state. I am not a fan. I know Ellie can read, and read well. I don't need to sit in her classroom and listen to her read - incidentally, the teacher's note asked the students to read their parents a story called the 'Read-Eyed Tree Frog'. Hmmmm...

When we did get to humbly approach the teacher, she spent most of her time with me going through Ellie's faults, which appear to be that she likes to tell her teacher long stories at inappropriate times. 'Inappropriate times' appear to be anytime they're in the classroom. She turned to Ellie and told her that she could come talk to her when they were at recess. Hmmmm....

There have been a couple of social issues with Ellie which I brought up a while ago and asked yesterday how they were progressing. Ellie is feeling excluded by some of the girls in her class (girls.... hmmmm.... ) Teacher assured me that she had dealt with it, and it was very clear to me that she had not. She went over the classroom discussion that they had had, and it appeared to be a discussion purely based on the fact that Ellie had felt she was being excluded, when no, little snots 1, 2, 3, and 4 had very clearly said that she couldn't play with them. Teacher was made to understand that these were real incidents, not in Ellie's head. She clearly doesn't appreciate what goes on in Ellie's head anyway.

And then I looked at her report card and it was fabulous. She is doing awesomely well on just about everything and especially math.

Today I met with Adam's teacher. For the whole time allotted. I had all the kids with me and they were all welcome at her desk. Adam is doing awesomely well at everything and especially math (but not spelling!). She said 'He's so patient. I can put him with the kids that drive me crazy and he works so well with them and is so patient with them. Is he a saint at home?' which mostly he is not but it was still nice to hear. She clearly knows him really well. She asked him who his best friend at school was and he said 'Tristan' and she turned to me and said 'Perfect pair! If I had a kid this age, those are the two I'd want my child to be friends with.'

Thank heaven for wonderful, committed, and hard-working teachers who know and understand your children. I am praying that Ellie gets one next year.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I was speaking with a friend yesterday, one who I have poured my heart out to over the past several years about Heather's teachers who have not quite met the mark, and she said, "It seems as though bad teachers are the norm now instead of the exception." I was greatful for her acknowledgement that there are more popping up than we think. My husband thinks they've been plaguing society for years and we've just ignored it. My problem is, I was a good teacher and worked with good teachers, so I really didn't want this to be true. I'm sad that it is true. Oh, I could just go on and on. I have no problem calling out a teacher (politely) when they say things that are ridiculous. The first year it happened to me, I was silent and tried other methods, but now I find a way to bring it up. It's unacceptable to say certain things even though I know how little paid, over worked, etc. they are. If you're not up for the challenge, don't choose this profession! Okay, we are clearly going to have to chat sometime on the subject. I will end up taking up your whole page. Ellie is bound to have a good teacher next year! Fingers crossed!

Kristie K. said...

hahaha!!!! Love your last line. I am thankful for amazing teachers. I honestly adore Adam and love working with him.
And Ellie is so creative and amazing. Clearly her teacher lacks imagination and a heart. How can you not love Ellie! She is just the way I imagine you when you were young.