Tuesday, March 20, 2012

He Speaks!

Nicholas does not say anything except for Mama (which I love!). Until this morning, when Jeff said 'I have to get going' and Nicholas very clearly said 'Bye-bye!' and waved at him.

This is great news. We have been on word watch for weeks now, ever since my pediatrician said that if he wasn't talking by eighteen months we would be referred to speech therapy. Which was not very appealing. I do actually like my pediatrician a lot, but I am looking forward to the day when I don't feel like I have to mould my children into meeting arbitrary milestones just to keep the pediatrician off my back. They have all been healthy and fine, even if each one has been healthy and fine in their own way that doesn't quite meet up with what the dreaded charts say.

He is seventeen and a half months old. He understands everything we say to him. And now he has two words!

3 comments:

REGS said...

Totally Great! Don't go by what the pediatrician says. Gabe didn't start really saying much until he was just over 2 yrs old, and even though he understood everything we said to him, he just decided to talk later. My mom and sisters were all saying there was something wrong with him and that he needed to go to a speech therapist, but I knew better. It was frustrating that my own family didn't have any faith in my child. Many children speak when they are ready. My uncle didn't speak till he was 4, but when he did speak it was clear and concise. So, you know what's best, cause you're the momma!

Julie said...

Woot! Go Nicholas! Gavin took longer talking too, just way too much competition to get a word in edgewise and now he's a pro. At least he's got the most important word there in his repetoire:)

Kristie K. said...

Way to go nicholas!!!