Friday, April 20, 2012

Spot the difference!

I know that absolutely nobody except me is going to be excited by this, but I am very, very excited.

Can you spot the difference between these two bassoon reeds? 



The one on the right is about 2mm longer, which is going to help enormously. I am always a little sharp, and that 2mm is going to make a world of difference in lowering my pitch.

But the real difference?

The one on the left is a real reed, from a real reed maker. Cost to me - $25.50 plus shipping and handling. The one on the right was made by me! I have wanted to know how to do it for years and years. My bassoonist friend Bob gave me a reed making lesson and hey presto! Cost to me - about $4.50 and several hours.

It still needs some work on sanding and shaping, so let's hope it's playable by the time I'm done! It crows nicely (that's the noise you make when you squawk it). Kate and Nicholas loved that! So once I have raided Jeff's garage stash for sandpaper I will have two new reeds to play with (pun intended!).

Note to self - the next time you have to wrap reeds, wait until Kate and Nicholas are in bed. That way, Kate will not pick up your newly varnished reed which is drying in the sun out in the garden, and if she does, you won't have a second reed in the process of being wrapped in your hands. Then, if you need to get after her, you won't have to do it while holding the thread cone in one hand, the reed in your other hand, and the thread in your teeth so your half-finished Turk's Head doesn't all fall apart. Then, after you have pleaded with her to put it down, when she throws your newly varnished reed into the garden, you won't have to put down the second reed you are working on to retrieve the first reed from the mud. And get all the dirt off the wet varnish. Just a note.

5 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Wow. Incredible project! Glad you survived the reed-in-the-garden adventure. Good work!!

Kristie K. said...

Great job!!! it looks lovely and i can't wait to hear it this weekend! You should use that money you saved on craft supplies.

just an idea!

Jean Taylor said...

Well I find this exciting. When Katy was playing the oboe, I spent a fortune on reeds.

shari berry bo-berry said...

wow. how am I so lucky to have such wonderfully brilliant and talented friends? you continue to amaze me alex!

Melissa said...

I am very excited for you! And impressed that you were so industrious. Good for you! And good for you for not harming your daughter. Ha, ha. :D