Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In praise of planks on a wall

Every time Jeff says that he's going to build something rather than buy it I always tell him that I don't want it to turn out looking like planks on a wall. (I would much rather buy things, don't you know.) So, when he built our bathroom mirrors I was very clear that I did NOT want planks on a wall. Look how he inset our bathroom accent tiles to make it all match... so clever.



Then he said he thought he had enough wood in the scrap pile to build a medicine cabinet, instead of buying the nice one I had picked out at Home Depot. Once again, I made it clear that the finished product should not look like planks on a wall. He did this:



Then he rebuilt the linen cupboards. I said my line again. He did these doors out of scrap once again.



And then, he went and did this:



It is supposed to be only temporary. It has been hard for him being home all these months with all this time to do projects but no money to actually start anything. I think he's reached his limit. He re-did the downstairs bathroom last week, re-tiled the floor, re-textured the walls, new paint, new toilet (re-cycled from the upstairs bathroom) everything that we could possibly do for under $150. I was quite prepared to live without a sink for a while, but after about three days of that he built this frame and put the sink back in the bathroom.

This truly is planks on a wall, and I wonder how long we will be looking at it. Given that when he pulled the carpet up in our bedroom and told me it would be six months before we replaced it, and that was 18 months ago, my best bet is 2yrs before we replace this perfectly good working plank sink.

Under current circumstances I'm actually quite happy with planks on a wall! I never thought I'd be grateful for that dreadful wood scrap pile that takes up so much room in our garage, but I'm grateful that Jeff can think of ways to use it!

7 comments:

LeBaron Family said...

I didn't know all that stuff was scrap wood!
Geez! He could be doing his own business . . . .

shari berry bo-berry said...

wow, he is so talented Alex!! That is awesome! I'm impressed!

Tiffany J said...

I LOVE your linen closet doors! They look amazing! What a talented man you have living under your roof! I do, however, totally understand what you mean about "husband hand-crafted" things...Steve made our bed frame as a "temporary" replacement when we got married...YUP we're still sleeping on it...ahhh some things never change

Jaimers said...

Wow, I'm well impressed! We could really use Jeff around here. We're hopeless and our house needs loads of work. We don't have any money, or a wood scrap pile...any suggestions?

Carrie said...

Alex, I don't care what you say about Jeff, he does great work. Maybe it is a good thing you have to share all your space with him all of the time. It is amazing what a bored man will do with all of his time!! Love you guys and miss you all

Kristie K. said...

I love seeing your projects! I wish I had some extra cash so I could pay Jeff to bulid things for me.

(Maybe after a couple more Lowes projects grady and garren could bulid some more things)

Judy and Mike said...

Great job Jeff! Everything looks amazing. I will have to come and take lessons from you myself (Judy said this not Mike)