Monday, October 13, 2008

Culture vultures in training

We've had a museum month this month. A couple of weeks ago we went and saw the Terracotta Warriors at the Bowers Museum. Adam had come across a picture of one in his illustrated dictionary (which he is currently reading from cover to cover. He even has a book mark in it to keep his place and 'reads' some pages every day...) and he asked Jeff what it was. Jeff explained, and then said we could go see them for real at the local museum. We went on a free Friday and despite having to wait a long time to get in, we had a great time! Adam got his own audio guide and I was amazed at how concentrated he was on listening to all the information. Jeff is a nightmare in museums, he can spend hours looking at nothing, and Adam definitely seems to have that gene. Ellie was done pretty quickly... and that's more like me. I've been known to go through the Louvre in less than 2 hours!

So, we really enjoyed the Cotta Terror Worriers, as they are now known in our house!



Friday was our last family day for a while, so we wanted to do something that we'd never done before. And, it had to be free. So we went to the Getty Villa in Malibu. It was amazing! I highly recommend it! It was beautiful, the architecture and gardens were wonderful to look at, and on top of that they have a lot of fun stuff. We kept the kids busy spotting monsters and animals in the carvings and statues, and of course they had the best time running around the fountains and gardens. It's really an incredible place, and all you have to do is book your free ticket before you go. We decided on it at 12pm and were able to get in for that day at 2:30. Fabulous.



They look just like little mini-tourists...





Of course, the reason that Friday was our last family day for a while is that Jeff started work today!! HOORAY! After seven long months he is gainfully employed again. We've all got very used to having him around all the time so this is going to be an adjustment for all of us. I will let you all know how we get on!

5 comments:

Maria said...

What fun adventures you guys have had! Congratulations to Jeff on the new job! Hope all goes well.

J said...

I had no idea Jeff was out of work. I bet everyone is relieved that he is starting a new job. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Tyler and Karen Davis said...

Congrats Jeff on the new job! That made our day!!! Seriously. Keep us posted how it goes.

Linda said...

Well, that explains all of the home improvements...congrats to all of your for your patience and what I know is amazing good humor! And I'd love to get my pack to the Getty...would I need a special wild-animal permit to get on the grounds (and I'm not talking about bringing the pup!)?

Tiffany J said...

How fun! I'll have to check both of those out...maybe I should attempt to throw some culture our way huh? ha ha Cute pictures! Your kids are so cute!