Tuesday, October 28, 2008

On Friday I turned into a teenager again...

... and not in a good way!

When I was growing up we had a succession of rubbish cars. I got to be quite good at ignoring stares and hoots while I helped my Dad with yet another jump-start. For a time in my high school years we had a car with a fan belt that sounded like a wailing banshee, and as a real kicker the springs in the driver's seat had gone, so when my Mum was driving you couldn't actually see her above the steering wheel. My friends would wait at the school gate to see the sight as we drove in most mornings.

On Friday, on the way to school, the car started making a funny noise. On the way home from school, it started losing which gear it was in. Then when I stopped at a red light it wouldn't start again - and I stopped at every single light on the four miles between school and home. It would wait about five seconds and then shoot forward with mighty internal grindings. By this time I was beginning to realise that things were not good. By the time I was half way home I had pulled into two sub-divisions and parked and seriously contemplated walking the two and a half miles home with Ellie.

The thought of that persuaded me to keep going, which may or may not have been a good idea. By the time I was within a mile of home I couldn't get it to go above 10 miles an hour, and it required frequent stops, parkings, and turnings on again to keep going. Imagine me pootling along one of the main roads through town during morning rush hour at 10mph. Not fun. I felt like a teenager again, covered in shame that I was once again the one in the crappy car.

We did actually make it home (prayers are answered! Especially the truly desperate prayers!). Half way into the garage, although I was in drive, the car started going backwards. At which point I realised that whatever 'it' was, was really, really bad. Cars shouldn't do that!

I'm quite proud of myself for getting it home at all and not falling apart. Maybe I learned more as a teenager dealing with crappy cars than I had previously realised. And I'm grateful that it happened on the day that Jeff was coming home so he could take it off my hands and deal with it!

On a lighter note, it was great to have Jeff back for the weekend. He'll miss Halloween with the kids this year, but we went to Trunk and Treat at church on Saturday, so here's a picture of St George and the Dragon and their favourite heart surgeon.

7 comments:

Monique said...

Hope all goes well with the car! I love the Halloween costumes but there was one missing...so what were you gorgeous girl?

Maria said...

Alex,

I have to say that you write in such a way that I couldn't help but giggle! I can totally feel where you came from as I had the crappiest suburban in high school. I am glad also that Jeff was home so you could actually show him what happened rather than tell him on the phone and have him not believe you!:)
Happy Halloween!

Jaimers said...

That's so sad! In HB, too!! I don't think the English could really imagine what traveling at 10 mph in rush hour traffic, in HB, is really like! I'm glad your faith got you home!

shari berry bo-berry said...

man, I hate car trouble! I'm glad you didn't get rear-ended or anything when you were going 10 mph! Good luck with that!

I love the costumes...such a cute idea!

Kristie K. said...

I am glad you and miss ellie are okay.
I just now got Jeff's costume, I can be so silly.

Linda said...

I'm not exaggerating when I say that that's THE nightmare of my time in California...as far as tragedies go, it's not much, but I know God never cursed me with car trouble on a SoCal road because it would completely UNDO me...He saved more subtle challenges for me. But car trouble? Couldn't do it. Not ever. So, again, you're my hero!

Tiffany J said...

I had a 1970 Plymouth Duster and it was Free (should tell you tons just in that sentence) more cushion stuffing was visible than actual cushion and it had so much dirt on it I had originally thought it was brown instead of pea green (yum)! I broke down SO much and with that car it was like trying to push a locomotive by myself....I nearly died 5x and almost killed my dad 1x...so to sum it up....I sympathize!! ha ha It's amazing some of our similiarities! Between our "craftsmen" husbands and our car experiences!! ha ha