A couple of weeks before this I was subbing at school and his teacher Mrs Morgan caught me in the staff room at lunch and said that they had just done an Art Masters class and that he did a really good paper cut out piece and that she had submitted it to the district art show. She said she submitted three from her room. So when Nicholas started reading his invite to me, I figured that his artwork must have been chosen!
At this point we had never seen his art work, and he couldn't really describe it clearly either. So by the time it was the day of the award ceremony I was pretty curious to actually see it. When we got there we were given a fancy catalogue and his art work was listed as 'Too Much Homework' which made me even more curious to see it. He said he didn't give it a name so we think his teacher probably did. She clearly knows him pretty well! Homework is a struggle.
As they called each child's name to come up on stage for their award their art work was projected on to a screen behind them, so we finally got to see it!
After the award ceremony Mrs Morgan appeared. I had not known she was there. It was a Saturday morning, and Nicholas was the only kid in her class who was invited, so she came and gave up some weekend time just for him. I was really touched and impressed.
After the award ceremony we walked over to see the art show itself which was in a different building a little further away. It was actually really cool to see loads of artwork - loads! - and look at the totally different styles and things kids come up with.




No comments:
Post a Comment