Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Fruit pastilles; or five year old problems
The other night as Nicholas was getting ready for bed he came over to me and said 'Remember when we were in England and I had a hurting ear?' Oh boy do I remember. We were in London, trying to get back to the train station through a tube strike and traffic jams, and we ended up walking and essentially carrying Nicholas who was wailing and refusing to walk. I will never forget it!
Now Nicholas does this thing where he'll be talking about something that upsets him and he gets so choked up that he can barely get the words out. It's usually pretty funny as whatever it is is definitely not worth crying over. So I can tell that this conversation is going to be upsetting as he is starting to get all choked up. I told him that I did remember and he said 'Well, I didn't get any of my snack!'
While I was in Boots buying medicine for his earache, Jeff had bought treats for the kids and Nicholas had picked out a packet of fruit pastilles - given the range of English chocolate and yumminess available in your average Boots, definitely not the most appetising thing to pick! But by the time we got on the train, he was fast asleep and he didn't get any fruit pastilles. I did actually bust out those fruit pastilles again on the plane a couple of days later, but he's forgotten that part, and has been harbouring the injustice of missing out on his snack for a very long time. And this is not the first time he's brought it up.
After I had reminded him that he had had some on the plane (which he denied) he said 'There's another ploblem...' and by this time he was so choked up he could barely talk. He said 'You said you would get some more and you DIDN'T!' Clearly I am going to have to try and find some fruit pastilles somewhere so that he can stop being crushed at the thought of the snack he didn't have NINE MONTHS AGO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment