For years I have been wanting to go to Julian and pick apples. But Julian's apple festival falls on General Conference weekend and so we've never actually made it. Last Saturday we found ourselves with a combination of a long weekend and nothing actually planned... and so we went apple picking!
It is nearly the end of apple season but we found an orchard in Oak Glen that was still open and that had heirloom apples. By the time we arrived just after lunch, the heirloom orchards were closed and only the Granny Smiths orchard was still open... so lesson learned. Next year, we'll do this in September not October.
Still, we had loads of fun picking apples. The kids loved it. The apple trees are not too tall so there were plenty of apples that everyone could reach... even if it was way more fun using the pole picker and climbing up on Dad's shoulders to get to them!
We were only in the orchard for about fifteen minutes. I was really surprised at how quickly we were able to fill our bags!
When we were done picking apples we wandered over the rest of the farm. It was lovely, and it was not so blisteringly hot up in the mountains, which was an added bonus! The children dipped candles - well, some dipped and made candles, and other swung their candles around their heads repeatedly so that the wicks kept cracking, and there was not much of a candle to show for it...
We finished our day by picking out a couple of pumpkins from the pumpkin patch.
We had a great day out, and when we came home I turned those bags of apples into apple pie filling.
The apple peeler was a genius move - $15 on amazon and it cored, peeled and sliced all the apples in about half an hour. It saved me hours of work! It was so much fun in fact that I didn't peel a single apple because I had my minions all lining up to take turns with it.
What would the summer be without at least one mad canning adventure? And this is it for this year!
Friday, October 16, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a fun day! I've been wanting an apple peeler like that. Glad to know it works!!
Post a Comment