We actually went to the beach!
Although we live four miles away from the beach, we just never go, which, if I lived in England, would be inconceivable. But I am not taking my non-swimmers to a beach where the waves are bigger than I am! And so we don't go.
This week some friends were going to Mother's Beach... which is not a beach at all. It is a tiny little strip of sand inside the harbour - ie, no waves at all. The kids were thrilled that I was finally going to let them near the water. They didn't care that it was as flat as a pancake, and I loved that it was as flat as a pancake!
As soon as we got there I realised that we were woefully unprepared for the beach. I ended up sitting under everyone's towels to avoid the burn which I could feel as it happened on my lily-white legs! I remembered the time that Jeff bought a beach tent at Costco because it was a good deal and I mocked him because we never go to the beach; and I wished that the tent was not sitting in the garage at that moment doing nobody any good at all.... We have a bag of sand toys that are mostly old and useless, and we only had one good bucket and one good spade in the whole bag.
But the kids had a wonderful time anyway. They shared the bucket and spade, and rejoiced in the fact that I was actually letting them into the water! Adam went crabbing with some of his friends off in the jetties (they did catch a couple) and Ellie loved swimming in deep water. I had only planned on staying for a couple of hours and then going home for lunch - the kids didn't want to leave and we ate lunch super late because I couldn't drag them away.
It reminded me of all the summers I spent on the beach when I was little... days and days just hanging out on the beach. We're definitely going to go and do it again!
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I've heard about this beach, but never been. It looks so fun!
Post a Comment