On Sunday night we decided it was time to pick tomatoes. The plants have turned the back patio into a tomato jungle again this year; there are only four plants but they have overtaken every inch of space in the dirt. About a month ago I was watering them and I watched as they all simultaneously and slowly collapsed under the weight of the water on their leaves. It was so sad to watch and I couldn't do anything to stop it! So now they're all broken and bent over - but they're still producing! One plant is only half collapsed; the other half of it is eight feet tall and growing into my neighbour's palm tree.
We picked at dusk and got 9lbs and thought we'd got it all. In the morning I checked again and pulled another 4lbs out of the plants. I was joking around with a friend on facebook and said I was going to make a year's supply of pizza sauce... except it turned out to not be a joke. I think I actually did.
2 comments:
They're gorgeous!
Wow! That is a lot of tomatoes! Do you use the tomato structures so they can climb? I don't know if we have them anymore, but they helped keep everything upright. Good for you getting so much canned!
Post a Comment