Last night I came home from orchestra practice at 10:45pm to find a little plastic baggie lying on the kitchen table with Adam's first lost tooth in. I felt terrible, like I had been out gallivanting and having fun while I missed his first steps, or his first word, or something equally important! (On a side note, though, it wasn't all fun and games. We ran the whole oratorio for the first time, all 1 hour and 20 minutes of it, and the whole orchestra staggered out afterwards exhausted. It was quite comical to see how many of us were totally shattered!)
He lost his tooth at Aunt Steffie's house, which was great for him because Uncle Jason gave him $5! Which means that he almost has enough money to buy a Bacugon. When you're six, apparently, Bacugons are where it's at. He's been desperate for one for a couple of months now. The tooth fairy was not as generous as Uncle Jason, and in fact the tooth fairy had a little dispute between her selves as to how much a first tooth was worth. These are the things we should sort as parents before the event, but never do!
So how much is a first tooth worth? Is it worth more than subsequent teeth, or does that set a bad precedent so that your child expects that amount every time? The softy tooth fairy (Dad) thinks that first teeth are worth more, while the hardnose tooth fairy (me) thinks that this is a slippery slope...
4 comments:
I'm with you on this one because whether it's the first tooth to come out or the last, all are important and need to be treated equally. Remember also, that what you do now for Adam also sets the precedent for what Ellie and then Kate will expect.
Love ya and miss ya!
I am laughing so hard right now, because the tooth fairy that came to our house the first time with Thomas had no idea what to do. We asked Thomas what he knew about the tooth fairy and how much he thought he would be recieving.He told us that you should get a nickle for the first and a penny for each after. We laughed and said ok. on the other hand, when it came to David this year he told us that the tooth fairy was cheap. Ha Ha. kaylynn will probally ask for a $20.
Aidan lost his tooth and Nathan gave him $1.50, which I thought was outrageous. But I told him that first teeth were more magical and he would not get as much next time. Just to make sure I am not paying that much for everytooth.
Sorry you had to miss the tooth losing event. I'd love to give you some advise on the price of teeth, but I am really clueless. Hopefully he won't try to lose any remaining teeth on purpose to get money...that's what my little niece has started doing since she lost her first tooth a week or so ago! Good luck!
Post a Comment