Thursday, March 11, 2010

Planks on a wall, the reprise... and a dilemma

Eighteen months ago, Jeff started to redo the downstairs bathroom, and we ended up with a sink looking like this:





I was fine with it, it was functional. But it looked like planks on a wall, and we know how I feel about that. However , I am pleased to report that now, we have a bathroom that looks like this:



Isn't that better? If there are any blessings to this extended period of no proper job that we are going through, it is that Jeff's other skills are expanding immensely. Please note the hand-built mirror, hand-built step-stool for the children to reach the sink, and TA DA!!! the vanity was hand-built by Jeff too. Take that, planks on a wall! And I'm glad to see we beat my 2 year estimate for the plank sink in my earlier post! (It took me so long to figure out how to embed a link that I had to do it twice.)

Jeff has been busy this last week - we now also have CARPET!! CARPET!! in the bedroom, after three years and one month exactly. Not that I was counting or anything. The new (to us) carpet is fabulous, and every time I get up in the night to deal with Kate my feet are taken by surprise. It's lovely!

The process of taking out all the furniture and putting it back in again meant that we (well, just Jeff actually) took the opportunity to deal with a few issues. Specifically, he wants rid of my book stack. He wants a maximum of four books on my nightstand at any one time. Here is my nightstand:



and here is my bookstack, in it's temporary home on the children's dresser:



Can anyone tell me how the one is supposed to fit into the other? Looking at it like this, I will admit that it is starting to get a little out of control... but in my defence, one of those 53 books is a library book. Which I took back. Which meant that I could pick up another two in the library book store for 50 cents each.

Is this really a problem?

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Is that four books on top of the nightstand? Cuz you can totally do 4 on the top and a ton down below. Then we get you a cute basket for the side of the nightstand. :D I could make this work for ya.

Jeff is really talented. Very handy! I haven't been over for awhile so I might need a tour at book club. ;)

shari berry bo-berry said...

I love finally seeing your book stack!!!!!! :)

and the bathroom looks beautiful! Love that you have carpet in your bedroom now too...and can imagine your feet getting a nice surprise when you get out of bed! ;)

Judy and Mike said...

The bathroom and bedroom look lovely. Jeff is so handy. I think you should share him a little.

Monique said...

Well done Jeff!

As for your book stack, it doesn't surprise me at all ;)

Carrie said...

I can not believe it... the carpet is finally in. I am going to be so excited to see the new carpet and bathroom when I come in a few weeks. Yipee. It looks wonderful!

Linda said...

Rock on with your book stacks! And Jeff's just wowing me...