For those who don't know, I play 2nd bassoon in the orchestra for the Orange County Mormon Choral Organization - you can read more about it here.
It is an amazing thing, and I love it. One of our directors, Brett Stewart, writes a lot of his own arrangements, and the quality of the music is amazing. There is nothing like sitting on stage at the Segerstrom Concert Hall hearing the choir in full voice behind me. It is magical.
After last year's Easter concert we recorded a CD of all the music. It was an interesting experience! I had never really thought about the technicalities of recording, in a concert you just go for it and hope that the best performance comes out, but the CD recording was a lot of stopping and starting.
Stopped:

Starting:

(Photos courtesy of a friend in the choir loft. Thanks, Melissa!)
Anyway, the CD is truly incredible. There are some fun things on there - like Brett's version of Popcorn Popping with what I like to call full on Muppet show trombones, and then there are beautiful, truly inspiring pieces like his arrangement of Rock of Ages. My favourite track is 'Precious Saviour, Dear Redeemer' which can bring tears to my eyes. It is gorgeous.
You can preview the tracks and buy the CD here. I can't recommend it highly enough.
I honestly think that Brett Stewart is a name to be watched. Our next concert (in two weeks!) is a full length oratorio he has written that tells the story of the Book of Mormon. It is going to be incredible, and we're recording that one too!! Every time I wake up in the night I hear this music in my head. I think I am more excited about this concert than any of the others. Mostly at this point I can't wait to hear the whole thing, soloists and all. And then, I will wait patiently for the CD to come out, and play that one over and over too.
5 comments:
Awesome! I can't wait to buy it. I think recording is one of the hardest things to do. So much more stress and pressure than a live performance! Well done. Great to see the shots.:)
Did you know I had CD's in my garage all this time? I'm sorry I didn't tell you. Maybe you knew and were just waiting for them to go big public?
I'm excited to. Many changes have been occurring in my life these last few weeks, and I attribute the changes to the fact that the text of The Book of Mormon streams through my head throughout the day. I am constantly singing. I love it. I am so excited! Glad you are having a great experience too.
No, I didn't know you had CDs in your garage!! I would have raided you! Actually I have been waiting for a way for my large international readership (ha ha, all four of them) to get hold of one.
International readership, please buy one! I guarantee you'll love it. And if they don't ship international, then ship it to me and I'll post it on.
I think it's interesting that you hear the music in your head also. I have been replaying it and singing it in my head the past few weeks! I'm loving being involved with it too and hope I never have to stop being in it! Thanks for bugging me and coaxing me enough for so long to get me in! I appreciate your nagging! What a great friend you are!
when is the concert? We will be there from April 3 to the 11th will it happen then, I would love to go. Call me
Post a Comment