First, there was a patio with lots of pots...

Then, Jeff got an idea into his head that he wanted a garden, and the patio went away...
We planted seeds, and this is what our garden looked like after about two weeks. The lettuces were the first things to start growing.
Our tomato and pepper plants never came up, so we cheated and went and bought three tomato plants and three pepper plants...
Once things started to grow, Jeff got very protective of his plants. After one too many incidents involving bouncy balls and leaves getting knocked off he built a picket fence to put around his garden. I wanted him to paint it white, so it would be truly authentic, but he wouldn't. Look at me, I'm living the American Dream! I have a picket fence!
We harvested our first carrot the other day... it looked really promising. We scraped away some dirt and could see a beautifully fat, round carrot top, so we pulled it out. What a disappointment. It was beautifully fat and round for all of two inches, when it petered out into nothingness...
All along I have said that if we actually needed to be eating the things we were growing by the time they were ready to eat, we would be truly desperate. I don't feel truly desperate yet, but here we are in May and the tomatoes have turned into triffids and the lettuces are over two feet high and out of control. We are eating a lot of salads! Anyone want any romaine?
7 comments:
That's so GREAT! Sorry about the carrot.
I heard that carrots have a hard time here in FV. It still looks like fun. I bet the kids love it.
yes please on the lettuce! And i always knew you were an American girl at heart...
I would love some lettuce. We can do a trade. Our garden is doing well. Did you know that you have to "thin out" carrots? There is supposed to be space between them. I didn't know that. When they start to grow, you'll want to pull some out to give the others room. :D
The site of that carrot has me laughing!!
I would LOVE some lettuce!
That carrot is AWESOME! ha ha It puts a whole new meaning to "bite size" ha ha. But you guys are awesome! That garden is doing so great!
I am so impressed, so far we've only gotten some peas, but we did pull out a lovely long straight carrot that was a whopping 5 inches, it wa a very exciting day for me> Congratulations!
Post a Comment