Friday, April 24, 2009

Thoughts on naming babies... at 37 weeks

I do not like picking baby names. It feels like an awful responsibility and it is not one that I enjoy. What if you give your child the wrong name? When Adam was born I was so not sure about his name that it was a full month before I could actually say 'Adam' and not 'the baby'. And it is a great name! I am just very, very unsure about picking names.

I am now 8 and a half months pregnant and Jeff and I have not had one single discussion about baby names. We have had plenty of moments where he has suggested something utterly stupid and I have thrown something at him, but we have not once sat down and actually talked about it.

I have learned from the previous two that he cannot take it seriously until he is sat holding the baby. Then he gets his brain into gear. Those who were around for Adam's birth will remember that this was the only way he was not named Wendell or Marcus Aurelius, Hannibal, Pompey, or heaven forbid, Aelfric (which was one of Jeff's serious suggestions. I kid you not. That one actually made me cry, and not with laughter.)

The trouble with Jeff's way is that we sit in the hospital unable to leave until we have signed the birth certificate. And sitting in the hospital unnecessarily is the worst thing in the world when all you want to do is get home and see the other children that you haven't seen in 36 hours, and that feels like forever. I get horribly stressed sitting in the hospital for hours trying to pick names. Jeff says that it is worth doing because we come up with great names that way (Adam Edward, Eleanor Clare, both pretty darn good I think) but honestly, this time the stress is not going to be worth it.

The stress is made worse by the woman at the hospital whose only job seems to be to phone your room every two hours and ask if you've filled in the birth certificate yet. She is terribly nice but horribly persistent and she drives me CRAZY, to the point that the only firm birth plan I have at this point is to tell the staff when I check in that they are to keep her away from me. I do not want to see her or hear from her at any point while I am there.

So, this baby will not have a name when he/she is born. There will be no name for the first three days at least. I am not even going to discuss it until I am home, with unsigned birth certificate papers in my bag. I am giving myself two weeks, and I don't want any flak from anyone about how long it's taking!

Though I do worry that not having a proper deadline will mean that it won't get done... how long can a baby go without a name? Why don't they just arrive with their actual names tattooed on their bums or something? The tattoo could fade in a couple of days.... that strikes me as a much better system than making the parents pick! So I think I'll be holding out for a tattoo this time...

8 comments:

Kristie K. said...

i asked garren, and he suggested Sarah. Part of me totally gets that your baby should look like their name. We, as your friends, will give no pressure....

BUT Jeff better text me with the sex ASAP! Or his next haircut....

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness. Alex, that is so funny. I know it's not seriously funny to you, but your writing is exquisite. Good luck. For twelve years Kelly and I had thought Heather was a beautiful name for a girl. I think I've told you that story - mission in Scotland, fields of heather in bloom, etc. So it was a no brainer when we learned baby was going to be a girl. We gave her my sister's name for her middle name. There is something about waiting until they are born though. Heather looks SO much like Kelly's mother's family that she should have been Heather Amelia (after her great grandmother) and Jenna should have been Jenna Michelle for my sister (Jenna is my side of the family). Oh well. Now each girl carries a middle name with meaning, but belonging to the side of the family who she doesn't look like.

Maybe the tattoo thing would be good. :) We'll be waiting, patiently, for the news. :)

Lois Lane said...

Good luck with the tatoo idea! Take as much time as you need. I won't name a dog until I have had them a couple of days, so I understand. Though not sure the tatoo thing is going to work! But I will keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on being prego, just found out! Guess I am out of touch.

Judy and Mike said...

So I noticed that only girl names have been suggested. So how about Frederick Harold? That was the name of my childhood friend. J/K

Linda said...

Which is what I love about you...the restraint is remarkable. You may remember, I had none...I had lists of children's names every day of my life since about the age of 11...just a matter of what Matt would or would not veto. So admirable!

Rachel said...

Oh Alex....I sooooo sympathise. Gerry and I had stand off over Sebastian, he wasn't named for ages and in the end I refused to take him to Church ( and of course Gerry wanted to show him off ! ) until he had a name....it worked...I won !! Good luck x

Maria said...

Alex,

I totally understand where you are coming from. When Mack and Morgan were born they asked me what there names were but I had not even seen them so I didn't really know who was who but still had to give them names!! COME ON! REALLY!!!!
Oh, by the way, my younger sister was not named until her blessing at church. 6 months later. So you don't have any rush to get a name.:)
Good luck!!!

Melissa Farr said...

Hi Alex
We started a blog so check us out! I think you and Jeff will pick the perfect name.