Saturday, April 18, 2009

Adventures in gardening, part 1

When we moved into our house the front yard was full of nasty institutional looking bushes. They were very low maintenance, but looked awful. Last spring we pulled them all out and totally re-did the front garden. After we had planted everything that we had planned for and bought, there was an awful lot of space left over. I had six tiny strawberry plants languishing in pots on the back patio, so I threw them into the front garden to break up the acres of dirt.


They went crazy and took over the whole garden. I don't even know how many strawberry plants are out there now... They alternate between fruit cycles and growth cycles, where they throw out new plants and try to colonise all available space. Right now they are on a fruit cycle, and we are getting enough strawberrries to cut up and throw in cereal to jazz up everyone's breakfasts maybe twice a week.


Today was something special, though! We finally had enough of a harvest all at once to do something with. So we went from this:





to this:

I think we'll be having pancakes for breakfast tomorrow!

9 comments:

Judy and Mike said...

Homemade strawberry jam from your own strawberries is the best ever!

Melissa said...

Ooooo. Yummy! I never thought about growing my own strawberries. Good for you!

Kristie K. said...

what time is breakfast?

REGS said...

WOW!!! YUUUMMMMYY!!! I'm really jealous!

Jennifer B. said...

Nice work! Looks delicious!

LeBaron Family said...

Yummy! I want your recipe for jam!

Monique said...

So jealous! I'm starting to crave strawberries now but they won't be here for another 6 months :(

p.s. how you keeping?

Maria said...

That looks so good! I wish I could do that kind of thing.

Our family said...

Looks divine! How are you feeling?