A couple of weeks ago I decided to try an experiment, and instead of reading a story book at bedtime I pulled out 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe' and read Adam the first chapter. He liked it, and the next night we read it again. He liked it so much that he asked for two chapters instead of one.
So, I'm all pleased with myself that we're reading big books at bedtime. I feel like a proper Mum now... not that I didn't before, but now we're doing bedtime stories that take more than five minutes! It's progress. We've been reading one chapter most nights, and most nights he can tell me what happened the night before.
Last night we read the chapter where Aslan and the Witch agree that Aslan will pay the price for Edmund's betrayal. All the great themes of literature are there - love, honour, sacrifice, good versus evil. Great stuff. Adam keeps trying to get my attention and I keep telling him to listen to the story. Finally he says 'Mummy, I need to ask you something!' and I say what? and he says 'When is he going to get some more Turkish Delight?'
Yep. It's all about the chocolate. I can only be proud that he understands this already.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Our kids loved storytime out of chapter books (they call them) - Jeff would read them a chapter or two during bath time. Now they can read themselves and would rather take a bath alone and most times are shy and don't want Jeff near them while they're in the bath. Some of their favorites were: Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, The Mouse & the Motorcycle, & Junie B. Jones books... Fun stuff! Enjoy it while you can get it :)
Love it! It's so true to form: you're all excited about exposing others to the Christ types in literature, the heroism and failings inherent to the human experience, and all they want to know is...other stuff. "...And that is why some people celebrate Passover." "Can you cut my toenails?"
that is hilarious! SO cool that you guys are reading "big kid" books! I think I'll try that sometime with Jakob... Great idea Alex!!
Hi Alex,
It is so fun to see your blog! I hope to catch up with you guys some time!
Maria
I saw Turkish Delight stuff at TJ Maxx of all places today, and I thought it was funny that I had just read about it on your blog, having never heard of it before!
Oh my gosh, your kids are adorable. Do they have your accent or do they sound like californians? How are you guys doing? Feel free to check out our blog mackenzieandco.blogspot.com. Feel free to add us to your list, please do not put our last names. Thanks!
Alex, I miss you so much!!!
I know you are just 6 house down, but it feels so far away. Let's scrapbook next week, I know you have your hands full. Hope all is well and you are having fun.
And i love the new pictures of Adam and Ellie, they classic. We might go swiming tomorrow, I will give you a call.
Hello! I didn't know you had a blog! I saw you on Kristie's while blog browsing ha ha. I'm glad you are in chapter books! What a great one to start with!
Post a Comment