This last weekend Jeff took Adam on his first Scout campout. They went down and hiked some of the Mormon Battalion trail in San Diego. Adam did his first five mile hike and he tells me he only complained twice. He actually had a GREAT weekend. He came home bouncing, telling tales of climbing on the rocks, playing out in the dark, herping (more on this later) and campfires. He was exhausted, too; he could barely hold his head up during dinner and went to sleep faster than Kate - and she can conk out in seconds once her head hits the pillow!
Jeff has been quite stressed at work recently. When he came home, I could tell that getting outdoors had been good for him. He was clearly more relaxed and had had a good weekend.
I, however, did not.
They left on Friday at 4:30 and I heard nothing from them until 4:45 on Saturday afternoon, despite having tried to call and text Jeff several times. The first text I got back from him said 'oh yeah, we're ok'. Oh yeah??? I could have reported them missing by then!
Then the first story Adam told me over the phone involved him playing with the rattle of a freshly killed rattlesnake. One of the first pictures I was shown when they arrived home was the venom of said rattlesnake running down the side of a snake catching tool.
I am not sure that I will ever let Adam go on a scout camp again. Ever. No matter how good a time they had!
Tuesday, March 31, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Boys. Sheesh. My husband never told his mother most of the stories he has shared with me about his hiking/scouting adventures. Or if he did, he waited until he was 40 years old when she wouldn't care as much. I think he would have been locked in a closet if she knew about some of his "adventures." He survived though, and he's a great scout leader.
Post a Comment