Monday, January 12, 2015

On Books...

Ten years ago, I started a project. I cannot even remember why at this point, but I decided to re-read every single one of the 500 books I owned and decide whether or not they had value on my shelves. If they're not worth keeping I ditch them but if I think I'll read them again - ever - then I keep them. Every December I take stock and see where I'm at... and as I was counting up this December I realised that I only have to read 68 books this year to be completely finished. This will be my tenth and final year!

68 books in a year is totally do-able, given that I read about 160 books in an average year. However, I've left myself all the hard stuff to the end! A sample of this year's reading includes most of John Steinbeck - bar Grapes of Wrath which I read last year; Gulliver's Travels (nice and short); Tristram Shandy (it wasn't worth my time in college and I doubt it's improved); Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy (snore); Plato's Republic (at least it's short even if totally and utterly dull); Plutarch's Rise and Fall of Athens (why? really, why? why do I even own this?); both volumes of Le Morte d'Arthur (groan); and the grandaddy of them all, the Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

The complete works in a year? I honestly don't know if it can be done, but I'm going to give it a try! Wish me luck!  I'm making myself do the history plays first to get them out of the way as I suspect they're the least interesting. Henry VI part 2 here I come!

3 comments:

Monique said...

It almost seems to me you can skip reading some of them because you obviously remember them well enough to dread them. If you're already labelling them with snore and not worth my time in college, why bother? Just get rid of them!!

Oh, and good luck with the Shakespeare!!

Jennifer B. said...

What a project! Excited for you to be so close to completion.

shari berry bo-berry said...

I have anxiety from reading this post!

BUT, I am super impressed with your awesomeness! Congrats on almost completing a HUGE goal!

xoxo