Wednesday, January 21, 2015

On bones...

Ever since Adam was born I have worried about broken bones... specifically, how would I ever know if something was broken? What's the difference between hurt and broken? You can't tell just by looking at it... or so I thought!

Last Wednesday morning Jeff called me and told me the school had called him to say that Ellie had hurt her arm falling off the monkey bars. She was in the nurse's office and they were icing it but the school advised that we should pick her up and take her to a doctor to get it looked at.

What an understatement. When I arrived at school the office was packed with extra staff and Ellie was hysterical in the nurse's office with a tiny little ice pack on a clearly broken arm. I took one look and I knew instantly. It was the wrong shape! Normal arms do not look like wobbly spaghetti noodles. So I scooped her up and drove her to the ER. She did amazingly well actually - she was crying and upset on the drive over but she calmed down pretty quickly once she was settled. We had the full ER experience - three hours on a gurney in a corridor - but she was well looked after. They dosed her up, x-rayed her arm without even moving her off her bed, splinted her arm and sent us home.


Looks worse than it is, I am told!

While Ellie was still crying and upset she said 'The only thing that will make this day worse is if I can't go out with Daddy tonight.' There was a daddy-daughter date night planned at church which she had been looking forward to for days. So that evening Jeff took her off to church. I was concerned, but she would have been devastated if I'd made her stay home! When I popped in to check on her after dropping Adam off at scouts, she was bopping away on the dance floor and having a whale of a time. While it may not have been the best thing for her physically, she had a great time and it really cheered her up. 

On Friday morning we had a 9am appointment to get a cast put on her arm; which then turned into a 12pm appointment for her arm to be re-set under anesthesia in the OR. When she came around after her surgery she said that her arm hurt as much as when she'd broken it. And she still didn't have a cast! Instead she was in an even bigger splint than the first one. It makes getting dressed a real challenge actually, so we're all looking forward to a smaller cast in a couple of weeks. 


She is doing remarkably well. I knew she was in good spirits and back to feeling herself again when she started pulling out all the art supplies and drawing pictures - left handed. She hasn't complained at all and was totally off pain meds after only four days. She is being a trooper!






5 comments:

Maria Phippen said...

I am so sorry! As you know casts are not fun at all but at least they come in great colors and even waterproof!! She is such a trooper! It is harder on the mom for sure than the kid. :) Good luck!!

Our family said...

Yikes! Congrats to both of you for being troopers! :)

Kristie K. said...

What a trooper!!! Good thing Professor Lockhart wasn't there. I heard regrowing them is even worse.
Hope she feels better!

allypally said...

Kristie, that's actually what it looked like! Neville's rubbery arm. I couldn't actually look at it too often, we kept it covered with the ice pack because I couldn't take it!

Melissa said...

Can't believe this happened to her! What troopers you both were! Caleb Holbrook broke his arm at our house, and I will never forget that shape. Still makes me queasy. Good think Kelly was here to help!