while I endured twenty minutes of Nicholas running around in circles and crying that he was not on a zipline.
| 'I wanna go on the zipline! I wanna go on the zipline!' |
We drove up to Cedar City, and after a stop in Hurricane to see some old friends, we arrived just in time to get dinner, find the theatre, pick up tickets, and drop off Kate and Nicholas at the theatre child care centre... then we took Adam and Ellie to see their first Shakespeare play. I was worried about taking Ellie anywhere but although she didn't eat anything at all today by early evening she had perked up somewhat and wasn't feeling sick or feverish anymore, so she was actually able to enjoy the play.
The theatre was a little replica of Shakespeare's Globe - ie outdoors, and in the round. It was great actually! We saw A Comedy of Errors. I had fully intended to read it before we went but never got around to it, so knew nothing about it. It was not a subtle interpretation of the play... it was set in the old West, cowboy costumes and all, and was played for laughs. Adam and Ellie loved it! While they didn't get all of the nuances and language, they definitely got the plot and knew what was going on, which was no mean feat with two sets of twins all looking extremely alike and even sharing the same names.
A couple of times during the play I looked over and Adam and Ellie were just howling. During the play one of the characters had a monologue in which he describes being pursued by his unknown twin's greasy kitchen wench girlfriend.... oh my. It was long, and it was funny, and Adam was quoting lines and laughing about it for two days afterwards. It was a great introduction to Shakespeare! I hope they remember it forever. I still remember my first Shakespeare... Hamlet at the Salisbury Playhouse when I was 11. Thanks Mum! The next generation is on their way!
1 comment:
I read it all, but I am not a Grandma or a Nana and loved it! Wish I could do some of those things too. I'll make sure Mum sees it...
Post a Comment