Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bah humbug to Valentine's Day

This afternoon we made valentines for Adam's and Ellie's classes. 65 valentines later the kitchen was covered in strips of paper falling from the guillotine, the kids were covered in glue and to save my sanity I had eaten too many of the little chocolate hearts and once again I was questioning my participation in a pointless holiday. I don't do Valentines Day. I distinctly remember the first time I took little baby Adam to a playgroup Valentine's party and was horrified to find that it was yet another candy-for-everyone holiday. I had no idea.

I can't stand to just buy tat to give away because it's expected that everyone gives something, so that means we have to make something. And usually it's fun to make something, right?, but after about fifty valentines I was starting to lose the will to live. I can't even imagine what it will be like next year when Kate is in school and my Valentine's count is going to go up to 90 plus. We might even break 100 if class sizes aren't under control by then. I might just get on the tat bandwagon at that point.



I found the little printable here; and they turned out really cute and were easy to put together. Thank heavens for people who love Valentines Day and save the sad sacks like me who don't. Even though the kids are off school on Valentine's Day itself they're doing a Valentine's exchange tomorrow (seemed like the perfect opportunity to skip it to me) and I am preparing for an avalanche of tat to come home.

I feel like such a scrooge. But really, Bah HUMBUG to the whole thing!  Valentine's Day is top of my list for Holiday Voluntary Non-Participation. If only the kids would let me....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I used to love it, but this year we did nothing. Not a thing. Jenna was sick and missed school, and Heather didn't even think about it until the day of. I barely got a couple of decorations up before they came home from school. I don't know what's wrong with me and my holiday prep, but I was seriously off my game.