Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The wobots go upstairs....


It's almost impossible to find a spot to show off a whole quilt... this was the best I could do!

Nicholas's robot quilt is done! And I love it! I think he does too.... the day I picked it up from the quilter he wouldn't let anyone else touch it, because it is his. And just after he had gone to bed that night he came back down to ask if he could have his wobots upstairs. Putting on a binding normally takes me ages, but I have busted this one out so that he can have his robot blanket!

I love the rockets going all around the edges; this pattern was my original inspiration for the whole quilt. I knew I could never figure out the rocket ship block by myself so I followed the pattern but made one tiny alteration to them (the extra blue strip at the bottom). The flames were fiddly to do but they're one of the best things about the whole quilt.



The inner quilt is just a very simple patchwork mish-mash; it was loosely adapted from a crib quilt pattern. My favourite thing about it is my four appliqué blocks. I didn't do the artwork for the planet and rocket ship myself; I found that via Pinterest and was very grateful for the pattern.

There's actually a little robot in the window.... it's one of my favourite details!
But the little robot guys are all my own work, and I'm very proud of them! They're designed to look like a couple of the robots in the original print. I think they turned out pretty well!



(Note to self - next time you appliqué blocks, cut them bigger and trim them to size after the appliqué is done. Appliqué makes them shrink. This will save you hours of monkeying with tiny tiny shrinking seams.)


And Nicholas loves that his wobots are finally upstairs! 

6 comments:

Monique said...

You are awesome!!! I hope your kids know how blessed they are to have you for their mum!

Jennifer B. said...

Oh my! Alex, you have outdone yourself. The details are extraordinary. Well done!

Maria said...

You are AMAZING!!! Your kids are so lucky to have something so thoughtful and lovingly made. WOW!!!

shari berry bo-berry said...

ok, just picked my jaw up off the floor! you are so talented and I am in love! love love love. that quilt will be a treasure forever!

p.s. I will call you to talk about hooking up to go walking together!

Melissa said...

That is so beautifully done! I am seriously impressed!

Jessica said...

Alex, this is the most fabulous thing I have ever seen!! WOW!! Miss you guys! Hope we get to come visit soon!(Or you are always welcome at our house too)!!