Monday, August 13, 2012

Pinterest projects

I am not a particularly avid pinterest user. I do use it to keep track of things I want to do, and every now and then I do actually get around to doing some of the things I've seen.

A while ago a friend of mine was posting loads of gallery arrangements on her pinterest boards. That, combined with a huge frame sale at Stef's frame shop, prompted a rearrangement of the family picture wall. (If your name is Sarah or Mark then it should be known as the Family Wall of Shame because you have kids missing from your family picture. Katy has escaped this public shaming because her new family picture is in the post to me as we speak. Though it was a narrow squeak. I've only been asking for updated pictures for THREE YEARS.)

So my family picture wall went from this



to this:



Much better.

Jeff has been nagging at me forever to find some outdoor wall art for the patio walls. I actually saw this idea in a magazine but I stuck it on one of my pinterest boards so it counts! Stef's frame sale came in handy again here - she donated a couple of old frames, Jeff built the planter boxes on the back, and I went crazy on buying all different kinds of succulents.


This one has been planted out for about nine months now... it has taken us that long to get it painted and up on the wall.


This one was just recently planted out... a couple of the bigger succulents have been knocking around the back patio for the last nine months and are definitely showing signs of wear and tear - Nicholas loves to pull the leaves off. Drives me crazy. So these will do much better up on the wall!


They were intended to go one on each wall but have ended up together on one wall. I love them. I love having something fresh and green to look at on hot days when you can't even walk out there in bare feet because it is so scorching hot.


This is now intended for the other wall - it was planted this weekend and needs a couple of weeks to bed in before I dare hang it. Jeff decided he wanted a 'rustic' style frame and knocked this one together out of scrap redwood last week. I can't wait for the plants to grow in a bit, I think it's going to look great!


As to the question of how these get watered on the wall - we're in discussion about that. I have been just spraying them with the hose, which means the barbeque gets drenched every time. Jeff thinks I probably shouldn't do that... so we will see! But I am happy that we finally have outdoor wall art that I absolutely love!

2 comments:

Our family said...

Love the outside art!

Board Nerd said...

very cool idea. My name is Mark and so I apologise but I will say that I(Oscar and Amelia) win hands down at nanas house on the wall(kitchen cupboards) of family.