Thursday, February 24, 2011

The end of an era (hopefully)

Jeff went to work yesterday morning just the same as he always goes to work. It was different in only one respect - he was an employee again! And we have health insurance again!

He has been working for a bank for a while as a contract employee, but they decided that they needed him for long enough that they may as well just employ him directly. This means that our overly long, long journey through the unemployment wilderness is officially OVER! I am so happy! March would have marked our three year anniversary. I'm glad we didn't make it.

Monday was a bank holiday and it was the first day in what feels like forever where Jeff had not felt the need to schedule any construction jobs. Usually he works on bank holidays to take advantage of the time. This time there was no pressure to go do extra work because he actually has a real job again. It was so nice to actually have a whole day as a family! It was actually relaxing. Such a weight has been lifted!

The last time I mentioned his job situation on the blog he was laid off again three days later. I challenged the universe last time, what a mistake that was. So, having mentioned it again, fingers crossed that the universe no longer has me in it's sights.

The more I rewrite this last paragraph the more worried I get. Best stop now!

8 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Sweet relief! Hoping it lasts a long, long time.

Jessica said...

Great news!! Miss you guys a lot!

Melissa said...

What a relief!!!

REGS said...

Congrats!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm saying crazy things, dancing like a loon, etc., etc. in an effort to keep the universe focused on me and not you guys. Here's hoping you're unobserved...

Lois Lane said...

Congrats, I know that feeling so I am sure you are still doing the happy dance!

Judy and Mike said...

Hurray!

Louise said...

Oh Alex I am so so so so thrilled for you - just catching up with your blog now. I totally sympathise with the weight being liftd - you don't realise just how heavy it was until it is taken, do you? Hope all is well....