Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ode to my kitchen table


My kitchen table no longer functions as a kitchen table. It's primary function in life is as Kate's best babysitter and favourite place to be. I've moved on from hauling her off the table every time she gets up there, and my current policy when she climbs up is to leave her there until she learns to climb down, so she sits there and sits there, but she's quite happy about it.

It used to have a fruit bowl sitting in the middle... that had to be permanently moved once she starting saying 'ball! ball!' and merrily throwing apples all over the floor.

It is Kate's table, and Kate's alone. When Adam and Ellie come home from school they unload their backpacks and the table gets covered with papers for all of about five minutes, until Kate climbs up there and cleans it off. Nothing is allowed to be on the table, unless she brings it with her. She sits there and throws off anything that is on the table until it is clear to her satisfaction.

She still hasn't learned to climb down and so she spends at least a couple of hours every day just hanging out on top of the kitchen table. I am looking forward to a) her learning to climb down, or b) this particular phase to be over, whichever comes first!

2 comments:

Maria said...

She is adorable! My boys favorite hangout is the couch which they can climb up but don't know how to get down. I am not sure how I feel about it.
How are you feeling? Any new additions yet? Your AMAZING!!! Good luck with everything!

Melissa said...

I totally missed this post. This is too funny. At least the fall would be closer to the ground than, let's say, the 2nd floor. :D This phase will pass, and it will be fun to look back on this quirky little phase years later. I'm already having those "remember when" moments with my hub. :)