I was very, very stressed before we left at the prospect of 20 hours in the car, but what can I say, letting your kids watch movies for several hours every day is not a bad thing. Not at all.
Having driven across the country, here's what I think. It's too big. We went for miles and miles and miles and miles and saw nothing but empty land. I say give it all back to the Indians... nobody else seems to want it!
One day I am going to do that drive again, and stop everywhere that we didn't have time to stop at this time. We passed so many interesting things on the road, including but not limited to the largest meteor crater on Earth, the Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, the Petrified Forest, the Continental Divide(stunning!, REALLY wanted to stop there!) and too many little Indian trading posts to mention.
The highlight of Ellie's trip was her first experience of snow, when we stopped for lunch in Flagstaff, Arizona. There was a paltry two inches of snow on the ground, but she was beyond excited anyway, and I had difficulty dissuading her from making a snow angel... she has no idea how cold that would have been!
4 comments:
Glad you had some fun! I love driving through the country! So many beautiful things to see and wonderful places to go!
Alex, you are too hilarious. Give it back to the Indians! I'm still laughing. There is quite a bit of inhospitable land across the west, that's for sure! We love Flagstaff and stay there overnight when we visit my sister in NM.
ahhh...it is big, but it is beautiful!!!!!!! sometimes i wish i lived in the middle of nowhere...but then i realize how much i love target...and the beach...and my friends :)
glad you had a good trip!
You always make me laugh "it's too big". Spoken like a true Englishwoman! Although having never driven across Texas I'm sure it would seem too big if I had to see it as part of 20 hours in the car.
I can attest to the value of DVD players in cars. We just got back from Ca. and couldn't have done it without the player.
Post a Comment