Thursday, October 1, 2009

On kissing... and more kissing...

Ellie has a game that she sometimes likes to play with Adam. She is always the one that starts this game; and it's not all the time but it happens often enough - every couple of weeks or so -that I know that it's a game they play. It's called 'marry'. A few days ago I heard her say to Adam 'Let's play Marry!' and I knew they were taking this particular game of marry seriously because she dressed up in a play evening dress and a dress-up bridal veil. I just went about my business, it's nice when they play together, right? Better than having to steam upstairs to break up fights all afternoon? I haven't yet learned that a quiet house needs to be investigated further...

After a while Adam came downstairs and said 'Do you know what I don't like about marry? I don't like the kissing.' After I had picked myself up off the floor I asked him why any kissing was going on at all. He said 'Well, I know that you have to kiss when you marry.' I asked him how he knew this, and he said 'It's just something I know. From the Incredibles. When Bob and Helen get married they kiss.' All I can say is, the next time they play marry I am going to introduce them to the concept of having witnesses at the wedding...

The same afternoon, I could tell that 'marry' had morphed into 'family' because Ellie was happily bossing Adam around - 'husband! husband! the baby is hungry!' When Ellie turned 2 we carefully picked out a cute little dolly for her. It's never had a name. Whenever people ask her what her dolly's name is she looks at them like they have two heads. Her dolly doesn't have a name! I am proud to report that after 2 years, the dolly has finally been named. Ellie picked the name herself. The name has been being used all week. It appears to be a permanent name. And it is?



Big Fat Baby. Words fail me.

Yesterday, I took Adam to school by himself, the girls stayed home with Jeff. As we were getting out of the car he said 'Mummy, can you not kiss me in front of my class, because that's a little bit embarrassing for me.' I was shocked! I didn't think being embarrassed by your parents started this early! I told him I would always kiss him in front of his class, and he'd just better get used to it. But I've been given a glimpse of what his teenage years are going to feel like for me, and there is a tiny little crack in my heart now where there wasn't one before.

Thank goodness for Ellie and Big Fat Baby, because I've been laughing for three whole days about that!

8 comments:

Melissa Farr said...

Alex, I am laughing so hard right now. We don't have the "Marry" play in our family but we do have alot of "Daddy goes to work". I love the doll story. I can't wait for Kaylynn to play with dolls. They were my life as a little girl. We miss your family. Hopefully we can visit again in Dec. Melissa

Melissa said...

Oh my. I'm still kissing my girls good-bye right smack in front of the whole school. Ouch. Maybe it's just a phase. You know, he probably gets sick of kissing his 'wife' all the time and is getting burnt out. :D

Jaimers said...

Oh no! Not yet! My heart is breaking, too! Why can't our boys just stay 2 forever and adore us more than any other woman?? It's so unfair! You had me in fits of laughter, too, though. My brother told me that his kids used to play 'honeymooner's' and he was always worried about what that involved!

LeBaron Family said...

Hahahahahaha! Can you pick me up off the floor! Big Fat Baby?! That's funny!
I hope Adam phases out of the "don't kiss me phase!".

Jillyboo said...

Its been so fun to catch up on your blog. Your kids are so funny and just darling. I think you should have at least 4 more just because they help to beautify the Earth!

Tiffany J said...

I LOVE reading your blog! Between your cute kids and their cute kid ways and your humor...well, there's never a dull moment! Thank you for sharing about "Big Fat Baby!" ha ha There is a way around the "not in front of the class thing"...you just double up on kisses and hugs at the doctors, grocery store, home, church, etc ha ha

Lois Lane said...

You do such a great job of telling stories. And what great material you have! Love the babies name and don't know what to say about the kisses. I know I can never give them up!

J said...

Oh I love the name 'Big Fat Baby'. You are a great story teller Alex. I miss seeing you!