Thursday, July 2, 2009

Summer fruits and an early harvest

The other day Jeff decided that he wanted a peach cobbler for dessert... so I said I would make one. He then said something about checking to see if we had a yellow cake mix to make it... Well, I don't know much about peach cobbler, never having made one before, but the one thing I did know was that there was no cake mix involved! He insisted there was, I laughed him to scorn, and the next thing I knew we were having a cobbler contest, which was scheduled for Sunday night.

I made mine, he made his (and proved in the process that it can indeed be done with a yellow cake mix), Megan made hers, Kristie and Grady made theirs, and we all had peach cobbler for dessert on Sunday.



Here are all the entries - Megan won points for using fresh peaches, Grady had added nutmeg and/or cinnamon to his which made it totally yummy, and mine looked the most like a cobbler! They were all good, though!

Here's all the kids enjoying their multiple helpings of peach cobbler. We had a lot to get through! Notice the picnic table has now been stained and waterproofed, making it even more fab and the weatherproofing means that when they are all done I just hose it off. Marvellous!



Yesterday we harvested some of our vegetable garden, and pulled up the lettuce, onions and carrots. I will say nothing about the onions, apart from they were not meant to be spring onions. They were meant to be big. Moving on.... I am pleased to report that after our earlier failure with the carrots that this time we got a lot of good ones when we pulled them up. They had to go to make way for the pumpkin seeds that we planted in their spot. And we were very proud of the yellow squash and courgette (zucchini) that we picked... we have more on the vines, but these were the biggest and best!

5 comments:

REGS said...

Mmmmmm....Peach Cobbler! And those veggies look wonderful! Good Job!!!

Judy and Mike said...

I love peach cobbler but never make it since our peach tree was torn out :-( The veggies look great!

Melissa said...

Please invite us if you ever need help with your cobbler! :D Your garden looks wonderful! It is so great to eat from your own garden. Our corn will be ready soon and it's our favorite!

Tiffany J said...

I haven't had peach cobbler in FOREVER! They all look so yummy! So do the awesome veggies you harvested! Congrats all around!

PS Sorry for being such losers in regards to the beach. I have been meaning to call and I'm a tard and haven't. That's rude and I apologize ha ha I work Mondays for my parents so we are in Downey most of the day into night and Steve works Monday nights...so much for our family nights huh? Anyway, I would love to try to make it out one night! Thanks for not giving up on us non-phone-call-returning friends :)

Kristie K. said...

You forgot Jeffs prize, it was may better than my bunco one. He won for most cakey!

i like your shot of the kids better than mine.

LOve the veggie shot!