In our last minute-rehearsal I had a brainwave and convinced the 1st bassoonist to switch parts with me. He had easier notes. So we switched (bless him forever!) and we made it through, which meant I could finally relax and enjoy the rest of the concert.
In every concert that I have played with this wonderful group, I'm usually pretty confident on the first piece and the last piece, and have always had a couple of mess-ups somewhere in the middle. This concert (which was fabulous, as always) was a little different!
As we started to play the opening number it was all going swimmingly for a while, until I had to start playing down low. As soon as I went down the register, instead of wonderful, sonorous low notes, instead my bassoon sounded like it was just farting at me. I couldn't figure it out at all, but I was starting to get seriously panicked. I had no idea what I was going to do. Then I had a couple of bars rest and looked the instrument over and found that a couple of keys were not moving, which sent me into full blown absolute panic mode! It was the opening number, the orchestra was on stage for the first entire half and there was no way I was going to get offstage to fix it. Fortunately in the next few bars rest I was able to move the jammed key and get things going again... but it was a truly scary moment.
Then in the last piece, with choir and orchestra at full volume, my reed fell off! I was holding a note over about 12 bars, and halfway through the reed just got loose. I had to try and jam it back on the bocal by just pushing it with my mouth... and it worked. The minute the conductor lowered his arms the reed fell off for good. What a way to finish the night!
Because I don't have any pictures of the concert, instead I am putting up a picture of Kate in her hat of utter fabulousness. This hat was given to me by a friend who plays viola in the orchestra (see, there's the relevance!) and it goes everywhere with us. Wherever I go with Kate I hear people cooing behind me 'Just look at that baby! Just look at that hat!' I am not sure which gets more attention, the baby or the hat. It really is a show-stopper! Thank you, Mary-Margaret!
5 comments:
Love your description of the concert! I know how that goes with instrument malfunctions during a concert or recital. Glad you got through it! I'm sure you did FABULOUS! And Kate sure does look so adorable!
Oh Alex, I feel your pain! I am amazed that you made it through with probably not one person noticing the agony you were in the entire time!
I once was playing a show and had this beautiful solo and right as I was about to play it the string popped! Yes, the string just snapped and I had to try and fix it while the rest of the show went on between counting bars.
Well done! You are a brave soul and I am extremely proud of you!!!!:)
I totally remember the bassoon part! i was like, Go Alex! You sounded amazing, i would have never guessed your troubles...
Kate looks utterly Fab! i need to come give her a kiss before camp....
Oh Alex! That's horrible! I'm so glad you made it through the concert! I didn't hear anything awry in the orchestra, so you all pulled it off. Aside from a section of women completely not coming in on a verse of Cindy, I think all went okay. I messed up in several places, but fortunately, I can stop singing and lip sync instead. I think I sang "where we want to stay" at the end of the first verse of Love at Home. It should have been "where we want to BE". The "st" sound was hard to hide, but I think I backed off in time. Who knows? I haven't heard anyone say, "Who's the chick in the choir who kept missing words?" so I guess I'm safe. Whew!
That hat would look cute with her new boots. ;)
Kate looks so beautiful and big already and the hat is totally cute, but definately takes 2nd place to Kate! Congrats on the concert, I'm sure you were superb!
Post a Comment