A couple of weeks ago Adam came home from school and said that they had a new singing teacher. She comes on Mondays. For the first week it wasn't so bad...
Last Monday he came home singing Fifty Nifty United States. Now, the thing about Adam, is that when he does something he does it thoroughly. Very thoroughly. So, for the last week, he has been singing Fifty Nifty United States over and over. We have had to watch it on YouTube to learn more words. He sings it constantly, to the point that when I wake up in the night (which is happening more and more often these days) my brain is two steps ahead of me and is already singing the lines I'm stuck on 'Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, what comes after Hawaii?' Imagine that happening to you three times a night. It wouldn't be so bad, if only I could get stuck on a different line of the song....
I think it's ironic that my subconscious mind is obsessed with learning the alphabetical order of the fifty states, given that I thought there were 48 states until a couple of years ago (schools in England don't really keep up with this stuff!). I went to an orchestra rehearsal on Saturday and for the twenty blissful minutes it took me to drive home I had something else running through my head, but as soon as I got home and heard him singing it, Bang, there it is, stuck in my head again.
Either way, Fifty Nifty United States is way, WAY better than the five solid hours of John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith that I was forced to endure two Mondays ago. Yes, five hours, of non-stop singing. He finished the song, he started again. He finished the song, he started again. When I asked him (nicely) to stop singing for a minute he cried, so I had to let him carry on. If I ever meet John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith I will wring his flipping neck.
I wonder what it will be today....
Monday, March 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
you should send a note and see if she takes requests. Like maybe, 'when my mother calls me quickly i'll obey...'
I think it's so funny that you're becoming more American and I'm becoming more English. I've never even heard that song before, but I'd love to teach it to my children! I also find it hilarious that you English are always saying how ignorant we are and you didn't even know there was more than 48 States! I have ammunition now! xx
Fifty Nifty was our kids' theme song the entire summer of '07, thanks to the 4th of July program. My favorite line? When Gracie belts out the virtues of "Nepow-ah", which we can only decipher as "Nevada" due to its placement in the song. Otherwise...
OK, here it is...I can sing it in less than a min!
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansass (sp?), California, Colorado, Connecticut. Deleware,Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana. Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisana, Maine, Maryland, Mass, Michigan. Minnesota, Missipppi, Misouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada. New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio. Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennesse, Texas, UTAH, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wesconnsion (sp?), Wyoming!....
OK, I think I hit them all. GOod luck with the song. I love this song and think it is soooo much fun! Hope I didn't miss any...:)
OK, here it is...I can sing it in less than a min!
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansass (sp?), California, Colorado, Connecticut. Deleware,Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana. Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisana, Maine, Maryland, Mass, Michigan. Minnesota, Missipppi, Misouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada. New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio. Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennesse, Texas, UTAH, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wesconnsion (sp?), Wyoming!....
OK, I think I hit them all. GOod luck with the song. I love this song and think it is soooo much fun! Hope I didn't miss any...:)
Maria - Thanks!! I have moved on past Hawaii and even Nevada and am now stuck on the New states... so this at least will help!
Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine... oh we had it here also. I am actually grateful that the kids are learning these songs. Music has gone away in CA schools, so our 4th of July shows at church are fun. But, I feel your pain. We are currently doing ABBA songs from Mama Mia. My Heather is stuck on "The Winner Takes It All" and Jenna is on "Don't Go Wasting My Emotion". At least it's not "Gimme A Man After Midnight"!!!
Post a Comment