This week's homework was to build a leprechaun catcher, so of course I promptly turned it over to Jeff. Not because I don't like St. Patrick's Day (which I don't) but because I knew it was way beyond me!
They did it on Tuesday night while I was out at band practice - who do you think did most of the homework?? Yes, I think Daddy deserves an A....
I was home while they were gluing the pompoms on, and I had to beg Jeff to go against all his instincts and put them on randomly instead of ever-so-carefully placed, because we did have to pretend that a 5 year old did this, after all... In the end Jeff managed to turn some gluing over to Adam to salvage my conscience and so that Adam could say he'd done something! He did actually do most of the painting and decorating, in the end. He was pretty pleased with his leprechaun catcher.
Honestly, if teachers send home homework like this in Preppie-K - which is not even Kindergarten, let's face it - they have to expect that the parents are going to get involved, right? I have always thought that kids should do their own homework, and I'm a little embarrassed at how fast this turned into a parent project. Now I'm dreading the science fair years... but I expect Jeff will do well at those, too.
3 comments:
It's hard for me to let go on being too involved in projects. I'm learning, though! xx
Love this posting! You're so good and describing things. My mom always ended up doing at last half of my projects that were ridiculous amounts of work for my age. I don't know how I'll keep myself away from my kids projects though. I'm that kind of parent.
Okay, were you at "band practice" or "orchestra rehearsal"? You play with a professional orchestra, so you ought to get the kudos for that!
If that kind of project comes home in Preppie K, I'm sure they expect it to be a team effort! I turned to Kelly for Heather's Valentine's box because she wanted a van. I don't cut vans out of cardboard boxes. It wasn't a "homework assignment", so it was okay to have him trace and cut. She painted. I outlined which is a me thing. I like that Kelly can figure that stuff out. We weren't meant to be single parents.
Post a Comment