Friday, January 30, 2009

Gestational diabetes.... AGAIN???

What should you do when you fail your one hour gestational diabetes test on Tuesday, spend the rest of the week avoiding sugar, spend four long boring hours at the lab on Friday taking the three hour test, and they tell you they'll have results for you by this afternoon, when you were counting on having one last weekend to eat what you want before (maybe) starting the diet from hell?

Take the kids out to the doughnut shop and load up, that's what you do. Yummy! And until it's official I will have no regrets. NONE. I may even turn the ringer off on my phone so I can't be told it's official until at least Monday.

Don't anyone phone me this afternoon, I'm not picking up.

10 comments:

Linda said...

Best of luck lady...nothing more fun than that diagnosis! Cram all you can...I'm no doctor or anything, but all it did for me was give me ridiculously huge babies and a ton of weight gain. Four years later, not as benign as it sounded at the time. Be thinking of you!

Jaimers said...

That's my kind of idea! xx

Stevens Family said...

I feel your pain - I was miserable the last 3 months I was pregnant with Brooke. I almost cried everytime I was hungry (ok, sometimes I did cry) because I felt like I couldn't eat anything that sounded good. I got better once I started writing out the day before what I would eat and what times I could eat. It made my bedrest days go by much quicker.

As soon as I delivered Brooke, my nurse brought me a package of graham crackers and a blended juice drink (super sweet & tasty). I was SOOOO happy. Then I got to eat a piece of bread with dinner (but I had to agree to a shot of insulin first).

allypally said...

The whole thing is just grim. I still get the heebie-jeebies about scrambled eggs on toast because that's all I could for breakfast - can you imagine, every day for four months? It was five years ago and I still can't eat it.

Anyway, they didn't phone me yesterday so maybe I've dodged the bullet.... I did take the 3 hour test when I was pg with Ellie, and pass, after all...

Even if I haven't, no phone call means I get one last weekend of indulgence!!

J said...

Indulge, indulge I say. That is what I did until I got results from 3 hour test, which luckily were negative.

Carrie said...

Oh I hope that it is negative, that is such a nightmare!! Good luck lady!

Tiffany J said...

I LOVE IT! I hope you ate two doughnuts! ha ha I'm sure I will be positive for that at some point in this pregnancy....I have had two chocolate bars and a LARGE glass of milk twice since Dec 27th! ha ha Here's to the last bout of freedom until birth day! ha ha We should have a lunch date soon! ha ha

Melissa said...

Oh Alex, that stinks. I hope all is well. Be sure and update us!

Kate said...

Hi Alex,
I had to go through the exact same thing a few weeks ago, and my response was very similar. I think i ate about 10 kit kats the day before my test results. It really would be the diet from hell!! Hope your results are in your favour, and hope you are keeping well.

Love to the kids (and you and jeff)

kate

SVB said...

OH NO!!! That just stinks, but hey, I would be right there in the donut shop too and you know what...I might just finish off a dozen all on my own! You rock Alex!