Monday, November 3, 2008

I hate Daylight Savings Time

I never used to. I used to love the switch to Daylight Savings Time and knowing that on my way home from school or work it would be starting to get dark in the evenings... there is nothing better than being inside and warm while outside is dark and cold. I miss winter! And seasons in general - but that's another post.

To celebrate my extra hour in bed this weekend I stayed up late on Saturday night - because I could. And here's why I hate Daylight Savings Time. Because my kids do not participate in it.

Ellie woke up a little later than usual on Sunday morning, but because of the switch it worked out as the usual time - about 7am. Not great, given that I was working on 6 hours sleep, but ok. This morning, however, was a different story. She came bouncing in at 5:54 am, shouting 'Get up Mummy! It's a perfect day! It's time to get up!'

I spent the next hour persuading her that a) it was not time to get up, b) she could not use me as a pillow and c) kicking me repeatedly in frustration was not an acceptable response to b). Then she finally fell asleep, at 6:55 am. When the alarm went off at 7 she refused point blank to get up, and the morning went downhill from there and we were late for school.

She is taking a nap right now, for the first time in what seems like months, because she is so tired from her early morning shenanigans. I just wish I was too.

5 comments:

Jaimers said...

What are you complaining about?! My children get up at 6am every day! You're just spoiled...spoiled with good weather and spoiled with children who you can actually look forward to sleeping past 6am! I'll let you have my cold, wet English winters anyday!

Kristie K. said...

If only jeff's parents were still around. I would suggest a grandma sleepover...that way you could stay up late And sleep in too!:)

allypally said...

6am??? Every day? I could not cope with that at all!!!!

Linda said...

OK, that's the thesis for parenthood: I love/hate fill-in-the-blank because the children do not participate in it. You have a future in t-shirt/bumper sticker/billboard production, I think.

Monique said...

I must admit I personally struggled with the losing an hour more that Isaac did, it's taken me weeks to recover. (Remember NZ is opposite to you).