Monday, August 25, 2008

I've been tagged!

Jaime tagged me on her blog! So here are some little tidbits about me that you may or may not have known about:

My Joys:
1. My family. Kind of obvious. But I live with the three people in the world who make me laugh the most, so that counts as a joy, right?
2. Books. Books. More books. One day, when we have a house big enough, I am going to have a reading room, with a big comfy chair, my own hotel fridge stuffed with chocolate, and a big padlock on the door. I will be the only one who knows the combination. Bliss.
3. Playing the bassoon in an orchestra again after a break of about ten years. Shameless plug coming up - here's my orchestra: www.ocmco.org. I also play in a community college wind band. These two things are pure, unadulterated fun.

My Fears:
1. Being trapped in a car that goes into water. Usually in this doom scenario in my head we are going off a bridge into a lake, the scariest possible way to get a car into water. Jeff loves to watch Mythbusters but when they dropped a car into a swimming pool to test how to get out, I had to leave the room. Gives me the heebie-jeebies big time.
2. Boats. Sinking of. Water. Nuff said.
3. That Ellie will turn into me as a teenager. For the few people who have a) been around me as a teenager and b) actually met Ellie, you will appreciate how scary this is.

My Current Obsessions:
1. Family History. This is a long-term obsession, though it's current manifestation is doing indexing/extraction work. I came to a halt on some of my own stuff so I figured I would work on things that could help out other people for a while. I'm currently extracting some parish records for Cheshire that are written in Latin - from 1953. Why?? Why?? What a pointless exercise (the Latin, not the extractions!).
2. Re-reading every single one of my 600+ books. I started three years ago, am tracking what I read on a spreadsheet, and being a total nerd about it. I almost never go to the library anymore because I have so many books to read at home!
3. Ermmm... maybe scrapbooking? I am trying to get all of our scrapbooks up to date - either via paper or digital - and while I have been on hiatus for a while, it WILL get done. Maybe even this year!

Surprising facts:
1. I've never been to Scotland. I'm always surprised by this, anyway.
2. I love chocolate, but not chocolate flavours - for example I never choose chocolate ice-cream, chocolate milk, or chocolate cake.
3. My ancestors fought on the Patriot side in the American War of Independence. Traitors.


People I've tagged:
1. Shari!
2. Carrie!
3. Sarah!
4. Linda!

9 comments:

Linda said...

OK, I'm a dork...what's the protocol? I just copy the topic fields, pick some new folks to tag? Blogging has opened up all new worlds...

allypally said...

Yep, that's right! Can't wait to see yours!

Jillyboo said...

I liked reading this.
You are always fun to read, its as if I can hear you speaking, accent and all.
And I am the same way with the chocolate.

Jaimers said...

You are hilarious! Can I have a key to your room with the stacked up chocolate fridge, too? Especially considering that no affordable English home will be big enough for me to dream the dream! Thanks for the fun read! I love the new pics of the children, too. I can't believe how big Ellie is now...cuties!

Life in London said...

I love your blog, you are hilarious! I was waiting to read about the peas stashed under the dining table!! That is a classic!
Love Kerryn

Jaimers said...

Where we were in the New Forest is really hard for me to say. I think our campsite was Ring-something. There were loads of campsites around. The closest town was Lyndhurst, and we went to the Christchurch branch for church on Sunday. We were thinking of you and wondering where it was that you grew up!

J said...

Alex, I wish we lived closer to you! You are hilarious. I need some of your ambition to read, scrapbook and do family history. Kudos to you!

Monique said...

Gosh I miss you!

Linda said...

Fraulein Maria, you're just F-U-N, fun! Tearin' it up with a band, family history...nice work! See? If you just fill up your own emotional bank account, teenage Ellie can run circles around your self-actualized world, and it just won't matter. Isn't that how it works? Please say it is.