Just before Adam's last cub scout pack meeting we were working on the last activity badge that he needed to fill in his Compass Point badge. Once you have earned your first three activity badges to get your Webelos badge (which took us forever), then you can fill in the compass point, which has three point little gold compass points - four badges per compass point, for a total of 19 badges earned. So we worked on the last one (Family Member) and we got it done, and I sat back and was relieved it was all over, and I was all proud of Adam for filling in his Compass Point. I didn't help him or push him, I wanted to see if he wanted to do it and he did, and he got it done. And I thought we were finished.
And then the next Sunday the cub scout committee chair saw Jeff in the halls at church and mentioned that Adam was one activity badge away from getting all of them. I had no idea how many there were... but when we looked, there are only 20, and the last badge was Craftsman, and Adam was already 70% done. Jeff said (and I quote) 'No son of mine is going to graduate from Cub Scouts without his Craftsman badge!'
So in the week before his birthday Adam did the last few requirements. To finish the badge he had to make two useful items that were not made out of wood, and a picture frame. So one plastic lanyard and one denim pencil bag (with zipper, thank you very much!) later, he and Jeff spent a couple of evenings in the garage and made a picture frame to complete the requirements.
And although he's already graduated from Cub Scouts and will never get to wear it, I can't wait to put his 20 patch on his uniform!
And I'm a little freaked out about what this means for Nicholas.

1 comment:
This.is.awsome.
Post a Comment