Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Letters to Santa, part 1

A couple of weeks ago we wrote letters to Santa. I love the little ones' letters to Santa, they're always so funny. When Adam and Ellie were little they were funny too, though now they have moved on to being more business-like and serious with their letters. In fact, Adam was so business-like that his was just a list, and I made him re-do his with at least a 'Dear Santa' at the top!

Nicholas' letter to Santa was highly influenced by what was going on around him. Kate wanted a My Little Pony set and Ellie was talking about pogo sticks, so this is what Nicholas came up with.

Me: Nicholas, what do you want for Christmas?
N: Lots of cars.
Me: Anything else?
N: Mader, and just lots of cars.
Me: Try and think of something that's not cars.
N: Big ponies.
Me: Anything else?
N: More big ponies.
Me: What else?
N: Nuffing.
Me: Let's think of some more things.
N (watching me write): Ok, write more numbers. Are those letters?
I want more big ponies, like this tall. Big ponies, big ponies, big ponies. And balls, lots of balls, three. And pogo sticks.
Me: Anything else?
N: Nuffing. I want to fold it up now. 

I told him to sign his name and he very carefully drew a series of little squiggles at the bottom of the paper. I said 'Jeff! Look! He wrote letters for his name!' all excited and proud. Nicholas looked up at me and said 'No I didn't! I write snake, snake, snake, snake, snake.'  

This is a child that knows his own mind! But he's not getting any big ponies for Christmas...

3 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

I love this! Hope you had a Happy Christmas!

REGS said...

So glad it worked! :-D

Melissa said...

I haven't ever had my kids write letters, I'm not sure why. I have taken them to see Santa every year which is probably why. I love Nicholas' letter to Santa. Priceless.