Wednesday, October 16, 2013

On mattresses...

A few weeks ago we bought a second set of bunk beds, and promoted Kate and Nicholas from toddler beds to big beds. Of course we needed new mattresses as well as new beds. Last time we were in this position we bought the cheapest mattresses we could find. This time we did essentially the same, but 'the cheapest we could find' in 2013 means something different than it did in recession-hit 2008, thank goodness, so we have much nicer mattresses this time. The big kids on the top bunks got the new ones, and the littler weighing-less kids got the old ones.

And I hate the new ones. I hate them. The old mattresses were so easy to change, even on the top bunk, which is not a dignified operation at the best of times. They were flimsy enough that I could haul up on a corner, tuck the fitted sheet underneath, and move on. Now, I climb up to the top bunk, haul on a corner ineffectively a few times, nothing moves, not even an inch, curse under my breath, climb back down and wrestle with it from the underneath, get my fingers trapped between the mattress and the slats, climb back up, convince myself that I really am strong enough to haul up a mattress corner by 1 inch, because that's all I need, work on it ineffectively for a while, curse slightly louder under my breath, give up and climb down again, and repeat. Seven more times. 

I just changed four sets of sheets, and I look and feel like I was just wrestling with an 80lb bear for the last hour. Seriously, it took me an hour. And now I need a shower.

I love the bunk beds. There's no other way we could fit our four children in one (admittedly quite large) room, but I hate, hate, hate changing sheets on bunks beds. Worse than folding socks and making lunches.



1 comment:

Melissa said...

We have a bunk set and a loft bed. I bought a three-step step ladder so I could climb up and reach the side that doesn't have the ladder. It's still a pain. I have to buy adult-like sheets as opposed to cute kid ones because were using the brand new mattress we bought my mom before she passed. It's literally two mattresses think, and nothing but the deep pocket sheets will fit. Still, it's annoying. I don't know what the answer is. I thought maybe H would want a double bed soon since she's a teen, but she likes her perch up high. Good luck. You're a trooper.