I was so excited for Easter Sunday this year. For the first time, I had actually bought the girls special Easter dresses - big, fancy, lots of embroidery - and I couldn't wait to see them in them. I had also made matching ties for the boys in spring colours. On Sunday morning, I had to go to church early for choir practice and as I left I asked Jeff to make sure he got a picture of everyone in their Easter outfits for me. And off I went to church an hour early.
They arrived in the middle of the first hymn, so I could only watch them out of the corner of my eye as I was playing the organ. Nicholas came in clutching his blue elephant under one arm and sucking
his thumb. Blue elephant normally gets left in the car, you know he's having a bad day
when Ehfump actually comes in to church. He had a goopy eye and I could see that it was all red and weepy and that he was not feeling great. He did look cute in his tie though. Adam was not in his suit, because it didn't go with his tie colour. So he was in a pair of tan corduroys that we bought just a couple of weeks ago on clearance and that I haven't hemmed to fit yet. I could see the pins surrounding his ankles keeping his trousers off the floor. (Props to Jeff for getting the boys both in tan corduroy trousers). Ellie looked lovely.
Kate walked in and I could tell that her hair was not brushed. She did have a flower headband on (props to Jeff for winning that battle), but it was being worn more Rambo style than anything else, and her hair was all crazy and sticking up behind the headband. As she came down the aisle I could see that her dress still had the tags on.
It was at that point that I realised that I was pretty sure there had been no picture taken.
I will get my picture.... but it will be on a day when we're not crazy busy doing other things. There will be no visible tags or pins in my picture. And I will stick it in their scrapbooks with a label on saying 'Easter Sunday 2013', thus perpetuating the myth for another generation that we should be able to do it all and have it be perfect....
You know, I should have just taken the picture of them as they were!
Monday, April 1, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my goodness, that made me smile. I only saw you and not the family, and you looked lovely. I resist (still) leaving for church early because I know my girls need assistance in getting ready. They are doing much better now, but I don't think people get it that mom not being home makes it hard for us to show up all Sunday best and ready. Oh well, we do what we need to do. Good for you to post about it! The story will be found apart from the picture someday, and your family will have a good laugh. It's funny how only the perfect pictures get posted, right?
Oh Alex, that story is hilarious! You are so funny!
Post a Comment