Ellie's hair is the bane of my life - and also of hers. Whenever we sit and comb it she screams herself into hysterics.
We combed her hair yesterday. It had been a while, and Jeff had said to her that morning at breakfast that she was one stage shy of dreadlocks, so I figured I had better do something. There were a couple of huge matted tangles that honestly were starting to look a bit dreadlocky...
She screamed the whole time. It took so long that Nicholas woke up and was hungry and then he screamed the whole time too. Kate wanted a drink and she kept bringing me her sippy cup, trying to shove it into my hand which meant that she repeatedly bonked Ellie on the head with it. When she didn't get a drink then she screamed the whole time too. Ellie didn't enjoy being bonked on the head with a sippy cup but she was already screaming so there was nowhere for her to go to further express her distress. Adam sat there with his hands over his ears. There was nowhere he could go where people weren't screaming.
By the time we were done I wanted to be screaming too. I came so close to just going and chopping it off! I cannot wait for the day that she starts taking care of her own hair - which, I am reliably informed, will not be until about 5th grade.
The next five years of combing Ellie's hair are going to break me.
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hmm, are there any de-tangling products out there? Have you tried combing the hair while wet with conditioner? (of course it then dries and you're probably back to square one again :( ) Pig-tail braids are always a good option :D Oh, who am I kidding, take her to the hairdresser and get a good bob cut and be done with it! ;)
(I'm soooo glad to have boys!)
I'm so sorry. There are just no words.
I have curly hair and still do not let my Mum near with when she's holding a hairbrush.
She was so fed up with my tears that when I was 5, she put lots of conditioner on it, brushed it all up onto the top of my head in a pineapple-style, really, really tight and close to my head...and then chopped the whole lot off just on to of the hairband...perfect layers (and a bit mullet like too). I brushed my own hair from then on. Steep learning curve.
I've never forgiven her, but never cried from pain with my hair again.
Ros, I have honestly wondered which would do more long term damage to my relationship with Ellie - chopping it all off, or five more years of regular torture.
Only the thought that she might never forgive me and need therapy when she's older stopped me from the big chop a few days ago.
But I think that either way she is going to remember all the pain I inflict on her in the pursuit of beauty. And I'm not even girly. It's so not fair!
My daughter Kim did the same thing. I cut hers and kept it short. Tt was so much better after that.
This goes on in our house with Emma. I did cut her hair off. Just like a little bob that didn't take long to do and less tears. It was hard since I had always dreamed of having a girl with long beautiful hair but the reality was tears and curses from both of us. There is also this spray that helped a lot. Good luck!
oh alex! i was almost in tears myself reading this! HILARIOUS! especially DrOrd's comment. LOVED IT!
Did you get my email about some other people's suggestions? I wasn't sure if I had your right email or not. Good luck!
Post a Comment