is Kate. I can't quite really wrap my head around how incredibly lucky she was!
On Friday, just after Jeff came home from work he headed upstairs to change and because she is a total Daddy's girl she followed him. I was in the kitchen doing dinner and my Mum (who flew in from England the day before to meet her for the first time) was just headed up the stairs to go get her when somehow she went under the safety net on the banisters and fell from the upstairs to the downstairs. It's about an eight foot drop.
I didn't see it, thank goodness, because I have replayed the incident in my head a million times already and it's quite bad enough without having actually seen her fall. Mum and Dad saw it, and they said she was all tucked up in a ball and landed on her back, and hit the back of her head on the stair.
She cried immediately, and then after a couple of minutes she went all pale and lethargic, at which point I decided that we were going in to Urgent Care. Jeff was still in the shower and had no idea that any of this had happened. As soon as we could we went in to Urgent Care, and were being checked in by the nurse when the doctor on call came out and said that we had to be sent to the ER immediately, it was too serious an issue for Urgent Care to deal with.
So we went next door to the ER, where we sat in a waiting room for two hours and nobody even looked at her once. Urgent Care would have dealt with us far, far quicker! We couldn't let her fall asleep, but she was already tired from not having had a proper afternoon nap, and she was hungry from not having had any dinner. It was difficult trying to keep her awake and finally at about 8:30 we just couldn't do it any more and let her sleep.
She was finally seen and triaged and then about half an hour after that a doctor finally saw her. She was so mad at being woken up, she was furious every time the doctor so much as looked at her. Which worked out to her advantage, because he said that she was responding appropriately and was active and alert (and red in the face screaming) and it looked like she was all fine. He said he would have recommended a CAT scan but she looked perfect. She went in to the pediatrician yesterday to be checked, and they said that if there were going to be any problems it would have been obvious by now, so we are in the clear, and I can stop going in to check on her four or five times a night!
There was not a mark on her, anywhere. No goose egg on her head, and no bruises at all. It honestly feels like a miracle, especially when I look at the distance she fell, which I try not to do. We've always hated the stairs, and Jeff has been itching to rip out the stupidly unsafe banisters for ages. I don't have any reason now to stop him.
I am very, very grateful for a couple of things... the thick, plush new carpet we put in just about a month ago. If she had landed on our old carpet it would have protected nothing, but a double layer of new carpet absorbed lots of the impact, I think. And I am just grateful that she is alright!
When we got home from the ER I went in and told Adam that I am never going back there again, ever, and he had better not do anything that warrants a trip, because I'm not taking him. Ellie went in a couple of years ago for croup, and by the time we got there the night air had almost cured her and she bounced around the ER flirting with the nurses and looking the picture of health. Kate also got off scot-free from her visit to the ER, and I don't want to risk that my incredible luck won't hold! So Adam just doesn't get to go. EVER.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
i'm so glad she is OK!!!!!!!!!!!! wow! crazy!
SO glad that she is ok!!
I'm glad she's O.K. I hate taking the kids into the ER too. We took Gabe into the ER last December because he fell and cut his face. We waited for 3 hours before they took us back and gave him 3 stitches. What a joke the ER is! A month after Fernando & I got married I was doubled over in dying pain for 2 hours in the ER waiting room until they finally saw me. My appendix had almost exploded. I had immediate surgery. The doctor said that if I had waited any longer it could have exploded and I might have died, all because the ER is a worthless joke. Anyway, I'm so glad everything is fine with Kate. Poor baby, and poor mommy.
Terrifying! And I'm sorry for your visit to urgent care and the ER. How exhausting. So glad she's home and well. Whew!
How horrible! I'm so glad nothing happened while you were waiting in the ER. What is it with ERs? Maybe they knew something you didn't? Blech. Jeff is so handy, you could build a wall in place of the banister. :D Glad everything worked out ok.
Holy Hannah!!! Thank goodness babies are made out of silly putty!!! Mine have also taken some nasty tumbles...Ethan fell straight onto the marble floor once and he immediately turned pale and his eyes rolled into the back of his head, thank goodness Rob was home because he just flipped him upside doen and got the blood rushing to his head and he turned out fine...I think :) So scary...glad she is ok!!!
Well, that was freaky! Glad it all worked out. Yikes!
Post a Comment